Hello, I suppose.

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by nomcronomicon, Jun 23, 2014.

1. nomcronomicon

nomcronomicon

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Introductions always seem pointless. I could be making everything up. I'm not, but you can't know that. Hopefully some of you will indulge my narrative.

I've been a line cook for 10 years. My first job in a kitchen was a dishwashing job at age 15. The pub where I worked had a very generous food discount for employees: 50% off everything while not working. However, while we were  working, we were allowed to have anything we wanted, and as much of it as we wanted free - the catch was that we had to make it ourselves.

About 2 weeks into my job, I got bold enough to make myself a 9 oz fillet. My boss - who I suppose you could call a chef - took notice when I took the liberty of also  starting a few new tickets that had come in.  He let me finish them, showed me how to plate the food, and asked me if I wanted to learn how to cook. I did. 

and here I am. I'm 25, I work at one of the most financially successful (though I can't imagine how) chains in the country (I'm from the U.S.A). I'm not proud to work at a chain, especially this  chain. More on that in another post.

I wanted to be a doctor. Straight out of high school I started in a rigorous biochemistry program - you know, instead of a relaxed biochemistry program - and four weeks in I realized I hated chemistry. I still wish I could go to medical school. But I supported myself in college while working in restaurants. Relatively okay pay, hours compatible with classes, you get the point. 

I really love to cook. It's a disappointment, then, that I live in a beautiful suburban apartment with a tiny galley kitchen. I mean tiny. I get by, I'm used to a cramped line. But holy hell.  If I'm cooking and my beagle wanders into the kitchen, I have to call the fire department because we'll be stuck forever. That small. 

Before you call the hyperbole police,  please note that I obtained that exaggeration legally. double hyperbole! boom. 

Hi everyone. I'm excited to be a part of this community. I'm excited to learn how to management my space better, learn more about proper  culinary technique, share recipes, and other assorted culinary hijinks. 

2. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Aloha, Welcome to Chef Talk.

Well, that was a mouthful of an intro /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

Yup, I’d say that we are pretty friendly bunch.  It amazes me how generous the members are with their knowledge of all things food.  I was searching the `net for an answer to a cooking dilemma, and here I am.  I would have to say though I am a died-in-the-wool-foodie from way back before there was such a word, HA!

Take a lookey-loo around; do keep in mind that the Pro forums are read only for us folk who are not employed in the food industries, so I do hope that you'll post in the general stuff too.

Should you have questions in regards to the site itself, once you've had a chance to go over the FAQ and Community Guidelines, you can post those in the Feedback & Suggestion forum.

I hope to see you often, here, as well as at Face Book and Pinterest, that’s right CT has a page and a following on both.

Once again, welcome.