Hello, I have a question about working hours for a Personal Chef.

Joined Jan 5, 2003
Hello everyone. I am new to this board and pleased to have found it! I have a question for anyone who plans to be or is a Personal Chef. When is the usual time that a cook goes to their client's house to cook? Is it during the day, afternoon or evening? I plan to become a personal chef myself and still plan to keep my full time job during the day coz I can't afford do it any other way. Is anyone out there working as a personal chef AND have another job at the same time? I would really appreciate your comments on this. Thank you very much. AmyD

Joined May 14, 2001
I had a part-time personal chef business in Washington along with my full-time job before we moved to Arizona. I went to clients homes on weekend days and on the occasional holiday. I did not go in the evenings. I also limited my clients as I didn't want to be working 7 days/week.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :)

Joined Jul 23, 2002
I pc'd for a year.
Monday through friday and occational weekend parties.
Regular service I did mornings, like 8:30 am to 12 or 1pm.
I was quick because of my extensinve restaurant experience. Many pc'ers work 9 to 4 or 5.
I couldn't pc and work another job because I needed to be flexible and available for anything.
Check out American Personal Chef Association
read the visitors forum.
I was a member while active and it was invaluable. There are many details you don't think of both cooking wise and business wise.
lates,
Jon

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Define when YOU want to cook then let potential clients know when you are available....I'm off to cook right now....set rate I shop, cook, eat lunch with them then clean up and bug out....am done in usually 3-4 hours. They get 4-5 meals....several portions, they pay food costs and a set rate for me. So the quicker I work the more time available for other shtuff. I do a lot of other projects than just PCing...but pc is my bread and butter.
*Got a late start but cooked for a couple of hours... made chili, risotto with chicken and wine sauce, shrimp curry, pork loin with fig and ginger sauce. I didn't know what I was making until I hit the store.
The first gig I had was cooking in a wealthy home 3x a week 4-7pm cooking 3 courses for 2 people....$75 a night. It did not work for me on alot of levels. What I did was define what I do and then find people that want that service. Look in the archives for good discussions in the past on this very topic.

Top Bottom