hello,i am wondering if this is a safe method (salsa)

Joined Aug 28, 2018
i take all my ingredients put them in a sauce pan add 1 cup of 5% vinegar plus 3 table spoons of lemon juice,bring to a rapid boil for 10 - 15 minutes then turn down to a mild boil. i take my jars out of a boiling pan of water and hot pack the salsa into the jar wipe off top of jar and remove the lid and ring out of the boiling water and place lid on screw ring on tight and let it set. i do not hot water bath them after i fill the jars and seal them. i make 3 pints at a time.
also want to know if i can hot water bath them if need be afterwards

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The variables aren't worth the risk IMHO for canning and shelf storage. Use only recipes from reliably tested sources like your county extension, Ball and similar sources.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
For very short term refrigerator storage I’ll hot pack without processing. For shelf storage you really must properly process them. See the Ball recipe above. You don’t need to boil the lids and rings BTW... just wash them.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 21, 2008
Do NOT boil the lids! The new sealant they use doesn't need softening like the old one did. As long as they are clean they are fine.

Salsa MUST have enough acid to be water bath canned. Otherwise pressure canning is needed. Your method is fine for fridge storage for up to 2-3 months and is the same I use for refrigerator pickles.

Joined Aug 28, 2018
How long are you planning to store this?
i was planning on about 6 months i eat about a pint a week but after reading some of the responses half of that.
also i am wondering can i do a hot water bath now that its been 2-3 weeks or should i discard the majority of what i made

Joined Aug 28, 2018
Do NOT boil the lids! The new sealant they use doesn't need softening like the old one did. As long as they are clean they are fine.

Salsa MUST have enough acid to be water bath canned. Otherwise pressure canning is needed. Your method is fine for fridge storage for up to 2-3 months and is the same I use for refrigerator pickles.
thanks but i don't have that much room in my refrigerator i man 12 pints

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Freeze or pressure can. Not hot water bath. Tomatoes and chilies have acid issues that can cause problems with hwb storage.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
The last time I made salsa with my mom (miss her!) was almost 3 decades ago.
She cooked up the last of her home grown (highly acidic) tomatoes along with her other secret ingredients to an unknown temp and after filling the boiled jars and toping with the boiled tops and rings....she turned them upside down on clean towels.
You could hear the popping as everything sealed.
Stored in a cool dry place and enjoyed without anyone getting sick.
This was before I learned the importance of getting recipes down in writing before it is too late.

mimi

Top Bottom