Hello I am a new visitor from Colorado.

Joined May 7, 2003
:bounce: So glad to be here. I have been spending the last 16 months on pregnancy and new mommy boards. I think I have the hang of that now and am ready to hang out and devote more time to my passion. ANYTHING TO DO WITH FOOD!!!!

I have a long history with cooking, I come from a family that cooks rather phenomenally but simply as enjoyment.

I am looking forward to learning some new things. I am not working but a few hours any more which allows me to cook to my heart (and my husband's) delight!! My son doesn't appreciate my organic puree preferring the bottled stuff (can you imagine?).

Anyhoo - nice to meet everyone.

Joined Apr 30, 2003
I'm rather new here too and I used to be a regular (reader not poster) of the childbirth.org site and forums. I have a 4 year old and an 11 month old. It sounds like we're under similar situations! Since I only work a few hours from home (for a software company I've been with for 8 years) I've been able to work towards my dream of actually working with food.

I was also just reading about the Beaver Creek Culinary Fest coming up in June :) Do you have any plans to go? Too far away for me, but I was still interested in the details.

I've taken up the food mill recently myself - what is your specialty??

I hope to see you around the boards! - Kim:bounce:

Joined May 7, 2003
I never have been to the festival in Beaver Creek though it isn't technically that far from me. Course now with an eight month old I won't be seeing any mountain towns for a weekend away for a while!!

Gourmet dinners are my specialty. I'm Lithuanian (half) and so I have an interest in making foods my nan used to make for my dad. Fat content is killer though so I do so in moderation. I lived in Russia for a year and really enjoy cooking Russian dishes as well but just the time consuming ones that take all day for some odd reason. Can't so much of that now either.

We love Asian and Hawaiian, Italian and Mexican, Spanish - oh you get the drift.

My mother never made the same thing in a month and she had six kids to feed. I grew up on German, Lithuanian, Spanish, Mexican, Italian, and good old " Ohio-an - which translates into my mom's comfort dishes - all wonderful.

I am just getting into baking a little more than just cookies. I would LOVE to improve my sauce ability. I do everything by recipe which I alter but I can't do much without a reference much to my dismay.

What about you? What are your areas of interest? With two babies you must spend a lot of time cooking.

DO you make your own babyfood? I do and I use organic jarred just depends on how much time I have.

Jana

Joined Apr 30, 2003
Hi Jana,

It sounds like you cook quite a variety! Right now my specialties are breakfasts and desserts (lots things made with eggs!! ie - not very confident with my abilities with meat and fish though - working on it!) I've applied to culinary school to begin September 2003. I've just finished all my paperwork so I'm crossing my fingers!

On my grandmothers side she's part Lithuanian so somewhere I have ancentry there, though that side of the family isn't much into cooking so I didn't learn much about the cuisine. I'm mostly mutt American with a big percent of English and Irish and my husband is Japanese but born and raised in Hawaii :) I'd love to hear your favorite Hawaiian recipe if you have a chance. :) Last week I just looked one up for Lomi Lomi Salmon to try out when I'm feeling adventurous!

As for babyfood - recently I've been working on different veggie combinations, but my sons favorite so far is riced 'mac and cheese'! Go figure!!

See you around :) Have a great Mommie's Day weekend! - Kim

Joined May 7, 2003
My BIL is FULL Hawaiian (he was the king a few years ago) and he is turning 50 next week. My sister is throwing a luau. She is the best cook. Most of the stuff naturally is not very good for you - what is it with the mayo thing anyway> lol. But I will put together some of the ones I like the best that she has made for me.

I know she is doing lomi and kalua pig (my personal fav) for the party with chicken long rice and some dips and other stuff. Let me sort of eye her stuff and gather the god ones along with the ones I do regularly like macadamia nut chk and mochico chk and kalua pig.

You have a nice mother's day as well.

I think its awesome you are going to culinary school. I am way too old to start a new career - heck I just got to retire finally when I had my son. (Well - I call myself practically retired!!)

Look forward to exchanging hawaiin recepies with my new Lithuanian friend.:D

Joined Mar 4, 2000
It's a pleasure to meet both of you, smidgen and kidaly. Smidgen, how old can you be, if you just had a baby? (rhetorical)

Anyway, I have a 1-year-old, and have been freelancing as a cake designer and pastry chef. It's just enough work to keep my career going, without having to put him in day care.

Hope to see more of you both on the boards!

Joined Apr 30, 2003
Hi Smidgen!

How did the luau for your Brother in Law go?

I've not yet made the lomi salmon. . . getting ready for a trip - no free time, though my husband made one of his favorite Hawaiian treats - not exactly gourmet - Spam Musubee (sp?) a few days ago. I thought he was kidding when he told me that Hawaii is the state that consumes the most Spam in the US!!! It's apparently true :rolleyes: Are you familiar with it? It's basically teriyaki spam sauteed in slices and then you put a healthy scoop of rice (with mirin or something like that in it)on each slice and then wrap with nori (seaweed :). . . I was surprised. I know, I must be committing an evil crime by saying Spam on a great culinary forum like this so I'll leave that alone.

Another thing - I've been looking for cucumber kimchee around here and it's not to be found. . . Have you ever tried it? It's everywhere in Hawaii and I'm sure it can be found somewhere on the mainland I just don't know where else to look so I'm thinking it would be cool to try to make some. Just no idea on how yet. . .

I hope all is well! I'll look forward to hearing about the luau if you have a free moment :) Cook on! - Kim

Joined May 7, 2003
I am SOOOO sorry. I have been so frantically preparing for my sister in laws visit after my sister's party for my BIL that I have not had time to do much on the computer. Things should slow down but honestly it might be next week. I have a baptism for a neice and a graduation for my girlfriends daughter I have to prepare for. No rest for the weary. BUT>>>>>>>>>

yes I have heard of spam musibi (my husband is a great fan and I naturally wouldn't touch the stuff with SPAM in it). I personally would make it with fresh ahi tuna before I would eat SPAM. But I am a total food snob so what do I know?

The party was great and we made Poki with tuna and scallions and shoyu. I like it with wasable and more shoyu than she put in but she was trying not to be too weird for all the guests. Lomi Lomi Salmon, kalua pig (my personal fav), opihi, squid luau, chicken long rice, sushi rolls with cooked crab, cucumber and avo. Hmm what else. Well it was all good. I can get whatever recipe you would like, Kalua pig is easy and I have that. Chik long rice goes bad quickly so I would never make it but it was delicious I must say. I have all kinds of Poki variations. I have a couple Sam Choy books that my sister gave me while living there and she uses them as a base and then sort of moves on. SO do I.

This weekend we had my SIL and her fiance over and made procuitto wrapped salmon on the frill. BBQ babybacks and tritips in oyster sauce plus all the fixins that go along. Yes we ate well and yest I gained a TON. Who cares. I will lose it next week chasing my son who just learned to crawl... lol

Let me know what you think you would like as far as recipes in specific and I will get it for you. I don't have your email up but whatever you wrote me about - I have not heard of it.

Hope you are well and enjoying the summer foods that are starting to grace our markets. I love this time of year and grill veggies all summer long!

Oh and BTW my SIL gave me a recipe for daquiris that are frozen and you just scoop them out when you want one. Killer (though I will modify them with a few more experiments). If you and your husband entertain and or drink you might enjoy it. Let me know.

jana

Top Bottom