Hello from The Netherlands

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by pamm, Nov 10, 2004.

1. pamm

pamm

Greetings! I am an American who has been living in The Netherlands for 18 years. Cooking and food are two of my passions. I look forward to learning lots from this forum.

Pam

2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello Pam en onthaal aan Cheftalk. Misschien kunnen wij van u eveneens leren. Het einde door één van de forums en vertelt ons over voedsel in Nederland. :)

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Pam and welcome to Chef Talk! What do you like to cook? Are there any dishes you've learned to make since moving to the Netherlands? We'll look forward to hearing from you all around our community.

Chrose, you never cease to amaze me. Another talent?? What else are you holding out from us? :bounce:

Mezzaluna

4. pamm

pamm

Chrose, je mag 'je' zeggen. What a nice welcome!! Thank you.

"Dutch" food is lots of mashed potatoes combined with something else. That can be carrots, curly kale, brussel sprouts, to name a few. Split pea soup is also very Dutch. I don't bother trying to cook traditional Dutch foods, because somehow it just does not taste the same. I make pea soup like my mother used to make it.

There is a tremendous Indonesian influence here. Indonesia used to be a Dutch colony. So there is lots of Indonesian food. Surinam also used to be a colony and also has it's influences.

What is available in the supermarkets now is a world apart from what it was 20 years ago. I am now able to buy flour tortillas and refried beans!!

I love cooking but don't often have the time to really cook. Cooking for me is different than just 'getting dinner ready'. I really enjoy making fresh pasta and ravioli and hope to try making tortellini soon. I have also recently discovered the joy of making yeast breads.

Thank you again for the nice welcome.