Hello from Serbia!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by StefanDili, Oct 11, 2018.

1. StefanDili

StefanDili

Exp:
    5 years
    Hello everyone from cheftalk, I've been checking out the site for quite some time and finally decided to register. I'm 26 years old, finished culinary high school in 2012 and have been working since. Shit's really awful here in regards to our profession, well it's pretty shitty in general :D Anyway i've been offered my first chef position recently so I'll be asking a lot, hoping for some help from you guys! Feel like I have a pretty good advantage just from reading pretty basic stuff on this forum. I gotta say, a chef here is much much less than what I have read chefs describe abroad. A lot of them have no idea of costing ffs. Probably the reason why restaurants suck so bad here :D I'll get into that in a separate thread though as this one's for intro. Looking forward to hanging around here! Stefan

2. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello and good luck. Costing can be tricky because it involves a lot of math and usually comes into play when you go to a culinary school. A lot of old school chefs that just get their digs from years of working experience may not have put an emphasis or priority on it. Or they use basic calculations like dish A costs X$ to make so I need to change Y$.

3. StefanDili

StefanDili

Exp:
    5 years
    Wel maybe that was a bad example, but it was just an example. Untidy, unsupportive, disrespectful, selling items beyond exp date, not using soap once during a shift, eyeballing everything instead of weighting etc. And that's just my current chef. So I feel I'm gonna be pretty good with that kind of stuff but I have no '' paperwork'' experience, and the owner of the opening restaurant is a pretty big businessman so I'm a bit trembly, living up to expectations etc.

4. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Welcome we are glad you joined us. Any plans to travel and try working in other countries?

5. StefanDili

StefanDili

Exp:
    5 years
    Well my wife is currently doing her internship so not for at least a year. After that who knows.. We'd both love to live in Spain. Thanks for the welcome btw.

6. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's natural to be anxious about your first chef position. As far as paperwork experience I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean work history on a resume or classical training from a school, ect.? It's good to have your standards and a lot of the stuff that you are seeing being done wrong is usually a combination of people being uneducated/informed about things, laziness or being set in their own ways. The untidy/unsupported/disrespectful thing is something you will find in all walks of work, not just food service. And I'll admit that I eyeball a lot of things now (unless it's baking) because either I have done it so many times or it is in an application that will subjective anyways (like seasoning) and you say that this is happening under your current chef, so are you becoming the chef in another kitchen/establishment or working under this one?

7. StefanDili

StefanDili

Exp:
    5 years
    By paperwork I meant the paperwork that chefs and execs do. I know those attributes are found in every business, I just can't accept a chef like that. To my mind chef is the bacbone the ultimate support the father and mother of the kitchen and the guy everyone can count on. This guy is the alpha of old cook set in the old ways, not accepting critique or innovation or even others opinion. As far as eyeballing goes he does it in a way that gives inconsistent results, one dish weighing 300g the next 370g. It's not the acceptable form of eyeballing. And yeah, my offer is in a restaurant that's about to be reopened after 6-7 years, under a new owner. Haute etno cuisine :)

8. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you are organized and have some basic math skills the paperwork isn't that bad. The hardest part for the transition for me was learning how to manage people. It's easy to be a line cook and shoot the breeze with coworkers and not have to worry about call offs and budgets, etc. It's much harder to have to be the one that everyone relies on, who has to be fair and strict with everyone and also the one that takes the fall for everything.

As for the chef, maybe he's just burnt out from years of working in the industry. I know a lot of chefs that used to be great but basically just give up in the end and just do what they have to get by. And a lot of the old school type chefs are disappearing from the field. Even when I was in culinary school years ago the old school chef mentality was being pushed out for the new generations.

9. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Welcome Stefan!

As soon as I saw Serbia i thought of the delicious Ćevapi/cevapcici I had in Germany.

It's a good sign to be nervous, you probably have a pretty good idea of how many details there are to look after!

Training your staff to standards and monitoring their progress is going to be a challenge!

Will it be your menu? Grilled Lamb? I still think about those wonderful flavors from your part of the planet!

Good luck!