Hello from New Member

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by jesschgo, Mar 23, 2010.

1. jesschgo

jesschgo

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I just want to say hi to everyone.  My name is Jess and I just recently finished my baking and pastry certificate in Chicago.  Working on a business plan and product development to start a business selling cakes and pastries (part-time initially).

I am currently a full-time project manager (in IT).  Been in IT for almost 20 years.  I want a career change that is why I got my certificate.

Looking forward to being able to share my experiences as well as participate in discussions.

Jess

2. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi And welcome to chef talk.
    It must be scary to change your career path.Good luck with the new you. It would be a great idea to search for related threads. Many are interested in the same thing.

Look forward to hearing from you

3. jesschgo

jesschgo

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Thanks for the welcome.  Yes, it is quite scary to change careers.  I am still trying to figure out how to go about doing it and still be able to earn decent enough money for my financial commitments (mortgage, car, etc.).  My current approach is to do it part-time (working my current job full-time) until I feel I have enough business to fully transition.  But I've fully resigned myself that I may not earn as much as I'm making now.  I guess that's the price of doing what you love, which I'm prepared for.

Since I just finished my certificate program, I am planning on doing some externship either in a bakery or some hotels in Chicago.  I'm taking a short break (going on vacation next week) but will start looking for opportunities when I get back.  I think doing that will give me hands-on experience in a real kitchen environment producing higher volumes.  My chef instructor indicated she may be able to take me in her bakery to work a few hours.

I've searched the site and there seems to be a lot of useful information here.  Looking forward to being part of this forum.

Jess

4. rabicamail

rabicamail

Exp:
    At home cook
    Great welcome and sure you will some astonishing things in this forum. Best of Luck in advance hope you Succede in your new career .