Hello from Cleveland, Ohio!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by noon, Mar 27, 2013.

1. noon

Hello everybody,

I have been somewhat of a lurker of ChefTalk for quite a while, and I have no idea why it is taking me until right now to actually create an account and get involved with the forums.

I am 26 years old and have a small amount of professional culinary experience, but a life long passion for food and the industry. For the most part I have independently worked from the age of 17. After most of my endeavors dried up, I decided that it was time to focus on the culinary world. After making the (what seems like classic) debate on culinary school vs. work experience, I was offered a pantry position at a very well received restaurant in the area. My stint there lasted nearly 7 months, during which I went nearly flat broke. I grew up in a very lower-middle class upbringing, and at this current point in my life was very uncomfortable with the lack of security. I quit, taking a position outside of the culinary field that paid much much more. It didn't take me very long to regret the decision. At the end of last year I was asked to host a bridal shower, including a cook along demo with 20+ influential wine-toting women. It went incredibly well (I couldn't believe it), I met a lot of very amazing contacts and have been dabbling in and out of the private chef business. 

At the current time, I have been in the works of creating a drop-off and prepared food catering business as well as pursuing other private events. 

I have a lot to learn in the business, but I know that my true passion lies in this industry. I am hoping to use ChefTalk as a tool to correspond with professionals, find useful information that is difficult to acquire elsewhere, and hopefully (in time) pass along information that I have also gathered and help the community. 

I look forward to meeting some of you on the boards!
  2. mezzaluna

Bill, you did the right thing when you registered- but I think you know that! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif  Nowhere else on the web can you find more helpful professionals. If you've been reading here (and I do recommend doing a LOT of that!!!), you know the veteran professionals here respect anybody who's sincere, hardworking and willing to think for him/herself. This place is a goldmine of advice for people who are patient and smart. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif  You sound like someone with guts and gumption, and that's powerful capital to put into a business.

If you've been hanging out here, you know about the cooking articles, the archived special guest Q & As and Open Forums, the photo galleries, cookbook and equipment reviews, and so much more. But it's the members here who are the most valuable asset of Chef Talk- and now you are one of them!

We hope you visit often to share, learn and participate. Best wishes for much success in your new enterprise.