Hello from Chicago

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by coffeekitten, May 23, 2005.

1. coffeekitten

coffeekitten

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hi my name is Melissa and I go to the Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago (CHIC) and im looking for a place to learn and share my ideas. Most of my friends have no afinity for the kitchen a dont know Kobe beef from a Mcdonald's Hamburger. Please keep me sane and i look forward to meeting you.

Chocolate Kisses,
    Coffee Kitten :lips:

2. italian chef

italian chef

Hello Melissa my name is Roberto,I am Italian, I am work in Moscow, I m looking for friend in USA.
    What is life in chicago?
    As they are the restaurants to chicago?
    To you it appeals to the Italian kitchen?

Thank you for your attention and time.
    Best regards Roberto

3. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello Coffee Kitten, :)

Glad to have another person from the Chicago area. Do you have any favorite butcher or place for fresh seafood? I've actually got a decent butcher near the house. But living a good bit south of the city I can't seem to find a good place to get seafood.

again...welcome :)

dan

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello from just north of you, Melissa! Chicago is an invigorating place to be. I envy you, with the opportunity to taste your way across that great city.

Enjoy everything this place has to offer, and don't miss the great articles and reviews at the main Chef Talk site.

Roberto, welcome to you, too. Please start a thread for yourself so we can give you a proper welcome. I'm sure there will be many interesting questions for you from the members due to your intriguing cross-cultural work.

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

5. coffeekitten

coffeekitten

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Unfortunatly i am not too familiar with the southern burbs. I am from the northern burbs but am living downtown while going to school. I wish i could aford to go get fresh fish and meat. the closest thing i have is Jewel and i can even get chicken bones from them to make stock. Did you go to the NRA show? i didnt get a chance to go this year. i was planning that i couldnt get off from work but then they fired me... :mad: by then it was too late and tix had already doubled. gtg to bed gnite

Chocolate kisses :lips:
    Coffeekitten

6. coffeekitten

coffeekitten

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Life in chicago is pretty much like working in amy big city. Jobs downtown are so different from working in the burbs where everything is more relaxed. There are some great restaurants in chicago though and although i didnt get to go out very often there is a dining out club at my school, we will be going to Spaggia next month, a three star(i think) Italian restaurant.

Italian and French cookery appeal to me the most because i amd very interested in the history. Cathrine de Medici and Escoffier and Careme ect. I am currently simulataniously reading the Phisiology of Taste by Brillat Savarin and The Art of Eating by MFK Fisher.

Unfortunately i dont get the food network with my cable but i get the PBS channels with shows like Nick Stellino, Julia Child, and Lidia Bastianich.

Looking Forward to hearing more about your life in Moscow.

Chocolate Kisses :lips:
    Coffeekitten

7. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi again CoffeeKitten :)

No, I didn't make it to the NRA show, but some other here were talking about attending.

I'm not really certain of all the meat and seafood suppliers in Chicago, but I'm sure there are too numerous to mention. One of the stores that I travel to, in Burr Ridge, is Bobak's. They do have a store in Chicago also, off I55 and archer.

While the store doesn't offer gourmet premium products. They do have a lot of good products at a good price...at a good price. Did I repeat myself ;) They've got a wide variety of deli meats and sausages. But more important, to me, is their selection of meat at fairly low prices.

They commonly have a small variety of chicken, turkey, beef, pork, lamb and veal. If the immediate stores around you, are anything like where I live, you'll be hard pressed to find some decent looking veal or lamb. But Bobak's will usually have a small selection of cuts to choose from.

I can't be certain...but it almost looks like the beef they get may be a roll off grade or ungraded. Usually...you do get a good beef product...but keep your eyes open when your there. Because every once in a while you can get beef with nearly as much marbling as Kobe beef. You just have to watch.

The vegetables are also a nice treat from your garden variety large chain food store. Low prices on a wide variety of ripe vegetables. What a concept.

if you find the time...give them a try.

dan