Hello from Canada - Home cook

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Hi everyone, I am new here, and I hear we're encouraged to introduce ourselves:

I'm from Canada and like to cook everyday when I'm at home (I travel quite a bit) - almost exclusively vegan since my partner is vegan. I enjoy good tools, and already have a few good knives (japanese, chinese and german) and some uncoated carbon steel cookware. I have good hand dexterity, and I believe my knife skills are fair. I keep them sharpened on a japanese whetstone.

I have been cooking more and more in the last two years and I think I have developped a good instinct, but I am looking to improve my cooking abilities by aquiring more knowledge and technique. I watch videos almost daily about cooking on Youtube and other platforms. Also, I almost never follow a recipe, but instead prefer to read multiple versions of a dish, memorize what's most important and then adjust the rest to my liking.

I am interested in finding some good cooking books to really understand ingredients, flavor, spices, etc... I am not interested in just following recipes, I also want to understand, so I can create my own. I tend to enjoy a lot traditional, simple dishes that really puts just a few ingredients in all their glory.

I travel quite a lot around the world, and often take notes of the local cuisine so I can get inspired.

Oh and... I am not really interested in desserts, I do not enjoy sugar that much.

Other culinary interests:
- Cutlery (especially japanese)
- Scotch / Whisky and other fine spirits, craft beer and wine
- Coffee (epresso)

Looking forward to read you!

Cheers

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Welocme!
You are just too late for the vegan challenge, but read through it. There are some great ideas in it

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Welocme!
You are just too late for the vegan challenge, but read through it. There are some great ideas in it
Thanks! Yeah, I just saw that last month's challenge was Vegan! That's great, i will follow your advice and browse the challenge's discussion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom