Hello from Byoonie!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by bmiller, Aug 19, 2003.

1. bmiller

bmiller

Hi my name is Bill. I live in a small town in the mountains of Colorado at 8000', Buena Vista, locals call it "Byoonie". Our valley is surrounded by 14ers, the views are spectacular. Living here affords lots of outdoor recreation but very little by way of dining or entertainment. OK by me, thats why I moved here.
    I work as a firefighter in the denver area. I'm the house cook most all of the time.Sometimes a rookie will wander in while I am cooking and ask to help, this is a running gag because they always get the "Stay the @#$% out of my kitchen". Firehouse fare is usually meat-n-taters but when time allows we will pull off something pretty cool.
    Every nine weeks our last shift lands on a Friday, so we call it Friday on Friday. Three houses and ambulance crews get together and have a feast. Each crew is given a task. Our crew slow cooked baby backs for 6 hours, another made a sort of scalloped potato dish, a couple veggie dishes and of course the FOF mainstay cheesecake.
    At home I like to experiment. A short road trip to Taos or Sante Fe for ideas and supplies. Love that SW and northern NM food.
    Thanks for having me and hope to learn from you all, Bill.

2. markface

markface

welcome to the boards Bill . i'm pretty new here myself , but i really like this bulliten board . i hope you enjoy your time here , and my hat is off to you for your work in such a noble proffesion .

3. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hi Bill. I love the Buena Vista area. Went down there a few years ago to Salida and fell in love with it. Blew out a tire trying to climb Mt. Antero and spent a morning at the local tire store in Buena Vista. Salida seems like it might sprout a few good eateries before too long.
    We will be back to the area sometime soon (rockhounding is my fav. pasttime), hopefully I won't be one of those guys you have to rescue off the mountain....

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hey Bill, and welcome to Chef Talk Cafe. You aren't the only firehouse cook around here, so maybe you guys can share some ideas. We'll look forward to your posts.

Mezzaluna

5. isa

isa

Welcome Bill, nice to meet you.:)