hello from blighty

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by mike, Jan 24, 2003.

1. mike

mike

hello from deepest south west england where civilisation is said to have begun. self taught professional working chef on a mission
    to keep fingers.food obsessive but not a bore.have time because i dont work splits. would be pleased to correspond with my bretheren out there. old punkrocker so very sympatheteic to michel bourdains philosophy on cooking & life.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Glad you found us, Mike. We hope to learn from your experiences. Please stop in the professionals' forums and see what your peers are talking about. You can also check older threads or use the search function to see previous conversations.

Please feel free to tell us more about yourself here, then visit the other forums for food-related topics.

Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

3. isa

isa

Welcome to Chef Talk Mike!

Nice to have you join us.

4. chef1x

chef1x

:)

As a test of your authenticity, let's hear your opinion on such things as mushy peas and white asparagus, which I've encountered in bizarre circumstances around the globe?:D

5. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Mushy Peas ? I love peas but please refrain fom mush .
    Just kidding , I actualy love mushes. Simple food in an undisguised form which brings life and substinance to the majority of this planet . Corn meal mush is one of my favorites .
    Also used classically as polenta. Keep posting , Douglas.................................;)

6. mike

mike

hello chef 1

mushy peas eh.... are you ribbing our national institutions....
    theyre good with just a bit of sugar with fish & chips natuarally
    although i have seen a puree of mushy peas with mint to go with lamb shanks...not a terribly exciting ingredient granted. white
    asparagus we dont see much of althogh i have seen it bottled in france but it loses all its flavour & texture & i think is just one of those standby inheritances from days before fridges & freezers,
    we get some damned fine english stuff though only for about 6 weeks per year.

adios

mike
    somerset
    uk

7. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Welcom Mike. If you are not sure where to post or have a question, ask a moderator or myself.

8. chef1x

chef1x

:)

Awwwmike, I am only ribbin' you a bit. I did toil under a Suffolk man for the last 10 years, I have a right.

And now I see this guy Oliver make it HUGE at the age of 27...

Early in my tenure I was forced to make bangers & mash, cornish pastys, bransten(?) pickle, bubble & squeak, sausage pies, etc etc, until I rebelled and made him order that stuff from a true master, right here in NYC, Mr. Peter Myers.

In my very own nabe, we have a very well respected chip shop, though not like the ones I encountered in the outskirts of London, www.chipshopnyc.com it's pretty good, original, fresh, etc.

I encountered an odd sensation in the south of Spain while on vacation where there is this hardcore enclave of British ex-pats living and found it curious that instead of adapting to the local culture, they insisted upon having supermarkets full of canned mushy peas, white asparagus, et al.

This phenom occurs in the Bahamas, the Florida Keys, etc.

Just curious

:chef:

9. mike

mike

hello chef 1

i read a facinating article about the science of probability. take two seperate people living in any part of the world & in five steps theres a connection between them. the article gave examples of
    a person living in a city & the connection with a peruvian mountain farmer & they found a connection. I mention this in that my first cooking job was when I managed a pub called the magpie
    at stonham parva in suffolk, & youve worked in suffolk, I also got email from a fellow chef who lives about 2 miles from me but is originally from holland...strange eh ...its a small world etc etc.

watched a prog on new yorks tribeca & nobu it nust be great living in ny with the multitude of restaurants & ethnic mix.

anyways long live the jellied eel

regards
    mike