Hello from an aspiring baker

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by sancyr, Apr 7, 2005.

1. sancyr

sancyr

Hi! My name is Sara and I found this message board while doing a search for info on bread. I must say that the few minutes I spent lurking were well worth it and I was compelled to register and say hello.

I am a visual artist by trade, and I work in publishing (Web and print) too. I cook a lot, but like I tell my friends, I cook mostly because I am a picky eater... and the only way to ensure I eat good things to to cook it myself!

Last year I decided to learn to make bread. I grew up in a traditional Chinese family that did not consume bread often at all, so it became a treat for me. Like potatoes and cheese too! I'm the type of person that strives for a degree of excellence when learning an art and I consider good baking an art. So I'm here to learn!

I do want to brag a bit though... :D I just taught myself to make sourdough bread and made my own starter using the instructions from this site:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking...sourdough.html

Some of my friends and co-workers have liked my results so much that they won't accept loaves for free and insist on paying for them. One friend paid $2.50 for a loaf of bread from me! I'm still tickled by it. Here are some photos of sourdough herb bread and sourdough pizza dough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you for having this forum!

Sara

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  3. sancyr

sancyr

Oooohh.... Ahhhhhh!

Thanks for the link cape_chef!

Sara

4. redace1960

redace1960

I am a visual artist by trade, and I work in publishing (Web and print) too. I cook a lot, but like I tell my friends, I cook mostly because I am a picky eater... and the only way to ensure I eat good things to to cook it myself!

thats why i learned to cook!
    pleased to meet you!

5. sancyr

sancyr

Nice to meet you too redace! I have already spent HOURS browsing this forum. I'm so happy to have found this message board! I will try not to annoy the pros around here. :p

Sara

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Sara, you've really got a groove for bread. If you've picked up bread-baking in such a short time, imagine what else you can discover here!

Nice to have you with us.

Mezzaluna