Hello from a newbie

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by gianni123, Mar 26, 2006.

1. gianni123

gianni123

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie here. In my house I'm the 'sou chef' to my wife, although I often come up with new ideas and take liberties with recipes.

As far as Chinese food goes, I make a good hot and sour soup. However, one recipe I've never been able to make the way it is prepared in Chinese take-out (or, as the British say, take-away) is fried rice. I am never able to get the dark brown appearance, even though I use plenty of soy sauce. The white of the rice still shows through. I once used annatto, but that didn't seem to work either. I wonder if it is the reddish pork that usually comes with the fried rice that gives it the color I so like. I'm beginning to suspect that the take-out places use a food dye. :)

I hope someone can help me out.

Gianni

2. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    You would be better off posting this in the Cooking and Food section where it will get more attention.No one will think to look here. Welcome to Cheftalk. Or you can leave it and Mezzaluna will move it I guess.She is the Welcome Forum Moderator I am just a lowly nobody that tries to help out occassionally.

3. gianni123

gianni123

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks Cakerookie. I'll take my chances that Mezzaluna will make the change.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello Gianni and welcome to Chef Talk. The types of questions you have can often be answered here, including Asian home cooks and professionals. Hot and sour soup is a favorite of mine as well. It was one of the first Chinese dishes I learned to prepare well.

Scan through the forums and enjoy the articles, recipes and reviews as well. You can post a question on specific recipes, such as fried rice, in the Recipes forum. Try doing a search on this board; you may find it's been a topic of discussion previously.

Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

5. iworkforthem

iworkforthem

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Welcome onboard! :lol: We have the same job! I'm the 'head' chef in my house too. :chef: