1. An upgrade is pending. The forum is only accessible in debug mode.
    Complete Upgrade
  2. Hello, we're planning on updating our site starting 10 PM Pacific / 1 AM Eastern on May 22, 2018. During this time, the site maybe inaccessible or down. We appreciate your patience!

Hello from a new cook

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by jazzcook, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jazzcook

jazzcook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    After lurking a while I've decided to join up, as this is the best (only?) place to really communicate with *professional* chefs/cooks, in addition to foodies and home cook enthusiasts...

Briefly about me, I've been a professional musician for well over a decade now, and I've been burned out for longer than I should have allowed myself to be.  In a recent period of personal crisis I ended up walking away from a cushy teaching job and hitting the Reset Button on my life.  I'd been contemplating getting into cooking professionally for some time now, and as luck would have it I've been able to land a job at a very good restaurant that is willing to train me.  It's only been a few weeks now, but already it's been quite the wild ride!

The parallels between being a musician and a cook are striking, and it's no coincidence that most of my artist/musician friends also cook.  Most of the cooks in this restaurant also play (mostly guitar) and do art.  I've worked in restaurants before, but mostly FOH as a server.  So I knew what I was getting into by returning to this field; when the Bourdains and such warn that "this shit isn't for everybody", as a professional musician I am already well aware of the pitfalls.

So here I find myself, working the oven on a line and learning a whole new profession.  It's challenging, exhausting, and rewarding all at the same time.  I keep thinking, "be careful what you wish for" heheh...

james

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks for the introduction, James. I admire you for putting your finger on what you want to do and then pursuing it. A lot of people wish they had the guts to do what you did, I'm sure. Good luck!

You're absolutely right about the link between cooks and music. We have some passionate Styx members here (it's been a running joke fore a decade) and have at least one thread (in the Late Night Cafe forum) about music people like to listen to while working in the kitchen.

I know I'd like to read of your experiences and exploits in your new job. Perhaps you can start a thread in one of the general forums (so everyone can respond, even if they're not professionals) to keep us apprised. We've enjoyed threads about people going to culinary school as well.

Good luck in your new field! We hope to hear from you often.

Regards,

Mezzaluna

3. jazzcook

jazzcook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I like that idea, think I will do that!  It would be neat to not only get insights/advice from the seasoned pros here, but also give my own observations and such (or answer questions) to others who may not be in the field but are either contemplating it or are just curious.  Thanks!