Hello from a Longtime Lurker

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by summer57, Oct 3, 2010.

1. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm a longtime lurker here on ChefTalk, and have learned so much from all of you. Posted here for the first time a couple of weeks ago -- Inspiration needed for Beets Pickled in Red Wine - and you gave me some great ideas!

I've always been interested in food. My grandma was a cook in hotels across Western Canada most of her younger life and she taught me a lot --  including how to cook a dozen pies and a hundred tarts in a morning (grandma didn't do small batches of anything, somethng I've inherited).  My grandfather was a butcher, and I learned a lot about meat from him. I have some of his knives and other tools.

Always interested in food, when I worked in televison (for some 20+ years),  I produced over  200 episodes of a cooking show in the 1990s. Sitting in on every show, tasting, asking questions - what a great learning experience! and what fun!  I also took lots of cooking classes during that time.

When the cooking series ended, I produced occasional interviews with local chefs about themselves and about the local food.  I've been lucky enough to be in the kitchen with Bruno Marti (Pres. of the Canadian Culinary Foundation) and Tobias MacDonald (former head of Culinary Team Canada). Most fun was being present when the Japanese Iron Chef crew visited Michael Nobel to get 'at home footage' of Michael for his guest appearance on Iron Chef Japan.

So happy to be a part of ChefTalk!

Alexis

2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello, Alexis - welcome to ChefTalk!

As a lurker you will know that our membership is from all around the globe(I'm Scots!) and all levels of expertise from those just starting out to masterchefs.  Like you, I am a keen amateur. I've taken LOADS of cookery courses throughout Europe and LOVE to cook!

I hope you will make some time to check the articles on here - and to view some of the wonderful photographs on the site.  All are worth viewing.  The professional fora are read-only for those of us who are not in the culinary professions, but they make GREAT reading! 

Feel fee to join in on any thread you find interesting, or start your own.