Hello folks! I found this forum by chance looking for kitchen utensil reviews.

Joined Apr 7, 2020
I am interested in improving my skill to assist my wife in the kitchen, She is a wonderful cook for the two of us but she has a huge fear of knives. We were gifted a set of Cutco kitchen knives for our wedding shower and they are so sharp that she won't use them. She was washing the main chef knife and in cut right through the drying towel when she was drying....she's a little traumatized now. If anyone has information links to good cutting techniques, proper care and maintenance of knives, maybe even ideas for equipment that would be useful to us, I'd love to learn some things. I know some rudimentary stuff but I'd like to be faster and more efficient so she's not waiting on me to finish chopping/cutting/etc.

I am aware that there are many resources to get this info and I'll be doing plenty of research on my own, I just want to get some good points to start from.

Joined May 25, 2015
For many home cooks a dull butter knife is the only thing they know how to use. Sharp knives are important tools for cooks just like a sharp saw is for a carpenter. Knives need to be treated with respect and proper handling is important. Though I've done it if I need it in a hurry, drying with a towel isn't something you want to do.

There are many videos on youtube (Google is your friend) that teach everything you would want to know about safe handling and the use of kitchen knives. None stick out in particular, just start looking. Perhaps it would be nice for the both of you to watch some together and help her get over her phobia. Knife skills are culinary 101. If you want to cook, you can't do much without them.

Joined Apr 7, 2020
culinary 101. good to know, I'll pass that onto her. Thank you for replying and confirming where we both need to start and learn more about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom