Hello fellow cooks and food lovers!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by aangotta, Mar 3, 2011.

1. aangotta

Hello everyone, I recently acquired a line cook position in a beautiful restaurant in midtown Manhattan.  I started the second week of January and I am loving it.  However, I've never been so stressed and nervous in my entire life.  I work the fish line for lunch, usually the slowest line in the place.  The Chef assigned me there since it makes the most sense, I've never worked in a kitchen before, don't put the new guy on the grill station.  I was culinary school trained however compared to CIA my school is like reading a cookbook made for little kids and thier easy bake oven.  Seriously, I cleaned one chicken, and fileted 2 fish!  Anyway this isn't a post for me to complain, I am happy I found this website so I can ask questions and get answers from people who know what they are talking about.  Fortunately one of the sous chefs has really been helping me out, as opposed to the other one who cursed and threw salmon at my station my 3rd week there.  That's what's been bugging me, one sous chef helps and teaches the other expects me to know how to make potato foam my 3rd day at the job.  Cut a guy some slack? No? Anyway, before this becomes a rant, I look forward to learning and being a part of this community.
  2. ishbel

Hello and welcome to ChefTalk.

It sounds like you really started off at the deep end in your restaurant - but at least it was on the line which, by your description, is perhaps the lightest work load - and that's good, as it gives you time to find your feet!

This is a friendly site, with membership from around the globe and all levels of cooking expertise from beginners to masterchefs - and all points in between.  We are also composed of home cooks as well as culinary professionals.

The wikis, blogs, photograph galleries, articles and reviews make an interesting way to learn a lot - join in on any thread you find interesting, or start your own.