hello everyone

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by openyourbag, Aug 26, 2005.

1. openyourbag

openyourbag

hi- my name is andrew and i am brand new here.
    thinking about a career ADDITION (if that's possible).

just trying to plan for my future. i don't see myself working my current job for the next 40 years.

hope to post a lot and read a lot.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to the Cafe, Openyourbag. We hope you'll visit often too! There is plenty to read and enjoy here. Don't miss the articles and reviews at the main Chef Talk site!

What about the culinary world attracts you?

Mezzaluna

3. openyourbag

openyourbag

well, i'd be lying if i said i didn't enjoy the food network- now i know that the TV culinary world is VASTLY different than the real culinary world- but in addition to having a genuine love for eating and preparing food- i have a desire to learn a skill/trade that i can use daily (either personally or perhaps professionally) and a skill that i can also pass on to my wife and one day my children. i think i am above average in the kitchen right now, so i believe with some good training and schooling i could really have something special.

i look forward to speaking with you some more. i have TONS of questions!
    are you in the industry?

thanks
    andrew m.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Andrew,

No I'm not. I'm a home cook with a lot of years under my belt, and my belt looks like it too! :eek: My brother is a professional chef and owns a successful restaurant in Davenport, Iowa. My older brother and I also love to cook, but the bug didn't bite our youngest brother. We have some great stories about his culinary trials!

I started cooking very young- put my first meal on the table when I was 9 or 10 after begging my mom for a while. Although my mom doesn't cook much now (she's rather elderly and lives alone), she taught me to be adventurous. When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, before Julia Child, Graham Kerr, etc., we were eating all kinds of ethnic food we made at home: Chinese, Greek, Italian, Latino. She often tried recipes from the New York Times Sunday magazine. Searching for ingredients for those dishes in our Western Illinois city was often a challenge.

My own heritage is Eastern European Jewish, so I learned all that, too: matzo balls in chicken soup, challah, chopped liver, noodle kugel, etc. The kitchen was also a place where my mom and I actually got along, and it remains a source of warmth in our relationship.

I got acquainted with more cuisines in college when I lived in an International dorm. The dorm cafeteria was always closed on Sunday nights, so as you walked down the halls on those nights, you could smell cooking from Thailand, Taiwan, Iran, Nigeria and Vietnam as well as popcorn and pizza. I tasted my first Thai chiles then, and after the top of my head floated back into place, I was hooked! I learned to make Asian dumplings, went to Chicago's Chinatown for the first time and had my eyes opened to an even bigger culinary world.

As my friends know, I go through life "mouth first". Although I did a short stint as a grill cook in college, I wouldn't have the physical stamina to do it for a living. I admire those who do!

5. openyourbag

openyourbag

mezza

thanks for all the info...you sound like you have a very educated palate (and nose)! anyway, i look forward to learning more here- and hopefully enrolling in a program in the near future...

thanks again.
    andrew