Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by blijack, May 17, 2004.

1. blijack

blijack

Hey guys and gals.

I just found this site today and decided to join up as I hope that it will help me gain some direction.

A little about myself: I just graduated with a marketing degree from a good university, but I've come to realize that that is not what I want to do with my life. I studied abroad in Paris a year ago and then got a job waiting tables at a nice restaurant last summer. This is about the time that I noticed that I loved food and developed the cooking bug. I became addicted to the Food Network, started visiting food boutiques and specialty markets, started reading cookbooks, Jeffrey Steingarten, Anthony Bourdain, Ruth Reichl, anything I could get my hands on. I now realize that I want to be a chef and that one day I want to start my own business (whether that would be starting my own restaurant, I'm not sure).

My dilemma now is determining where I want to go to school. I have been looking at the Cordon Bleu in Paris (I speak French, having graduated with a French minor), but I'm not sure if that is my best option. I know I need to get experience in the kitchen, but I know that going to a good school will get my foot in the door.

Any advice y'all could give me would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning a lot here and hopefully being able to contribute something rather than just taking what will be useful for me.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Blijack, and welcome to Chef Talk. Here you will find an outlet for your questions and love of food. Your story reminds me of Julia Child's experience with food. Before she set foot on French soil she was somewhat indifferent to food. One lunch at La Couronne in Rouen and voila! A foodlover was born and the rest is culinary history.

Make yourself at home browsing our forums and posting your questions and comments. We'll look forward to seeing your here often.

Bienvenue! :bounce:
    Ann