Hello, Came here to seek knowledge and advice!

Joined May 30, 2018
I am 22 years old and I am from South Asia. I came here in USA as Marketing Student. But I love cooking as I want to become chef. For now, I am working as a Sushi chef. I can not afford to go to university or college. I work 6 days a week as sushi man. So I thought of books to read? Is it possible to knowledge everything from book to become good chef? I have a kitchen to use :) Please give me so advice about becoming chef

Joined Sep 26, 2017
It depends on the kind of person you are.

Some lucky few are able to master cooking through books.

Most have to be more hands on.

Joined May 30, 2018
I am 22 years old and I am from South Asia. I came here in USA as Marketing Student. But I love cooking as I want to become chef. For now, I am working as a Sushi chef. I can not afford to go to university or college. I work 6 days a week as sushi man. So I thought of books to read? Is it possible to knowledge everything from book to become good chef? I have a kitchen to use :) Please give me so advice about becoming chef
Hands on experience and failure are your best teachers in the kitchen. I highly recommend finding the best French chef near you and personally ask the Chef if you can "stadge" which is an unpaid internship( which can last a day or weeks). Assuming you want to learn western cuisine that is. As far as books go Escoffier is pretty much mandatory and also The French Laundry Cookbook. In my free time I look up Michelin starred restaurants and study their menu to understand why certain ingredients are paired together. The Flavour Bible is a book that helped me understand how we perceive and balance flavours. It breaks down the major things like fats and acids, bitterness, sweet etc and also is an encyclopedia for almost any food you can think of from proteins and fats to fruit and veggies to herbs and spices. Highly recommended it. Anyway hope this was helpful

Joined May 30, 2018
H In my free time I look up Michelin starred restaurants and study their menu to understand why certain ingredients are paired together.
I found it most useful from your advice. Actually, I felt like a kid few days ago. Because when i try to cook something new, I am really short on knowledge about pairing ingredients. But I got an idea that it is my first step, i have to fight for it now. I am so thankful your time Mr. Humble Cook.

Joined May 30, 2018
I found it most useful from your advice. Actually, I felt like a kid few days ago. Because when i try to cook something new, I am really short on knowledge about pairing ingredients. But I got an idea that it is my first step, i have to fight for it now. I am so thankful your time Mr. Humble Cook.

Joined May 30, 2018
No problem I'm happy to help. The best advice I can give is to obtain experience of course, but the next best thing is a book called, "The Flavour Bible." Amazing book and it really breaks down every single ingredient and how to pair them with other things, what time of year it's in season etc. Very helpful

Top Bottom