Hello and help with professional courtesy

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by Markpastry, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Markpastry

Markpastry

Exp:
    Pastry chef as chef de partie on and off over 12 years
    Hello all. Am looking forward to discussing issues with fellow pros. HavrHa quick question to start withw Am work for a patisserie producing high end desserts. I have been there for 6 months and am mainly cooking macarons. Despite have extensive experience in producing these little pastries, i am having to use the ingredients and method currently being used. I am very undertrained compared to others in the kitchen, but the one dish that i exceleate, through years of study is the macaron.

How would you suggest dealing with this, the main problem is that the current method is not as high a quality as it should be. I do not want to undermine, all I want is to produce the best dish possible. Any help in it his appreciated.

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    What method are you using that's better? The meringue? Sometimes the boiled sugar method is difficult for other people. I am guessing they want the method simple so everyone can produce it.

Markpastry likes this.
  3. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Blind tasting could settle any argument...

Good luck!

Markpastry likes this.
  4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For me in my cooking career I have always told all my cooks, chefs and pantry people to do it my way. If anyone doesn't agree or think they can do something better I tell them, show me. The proof is in the pudding. No one should want to serve something just because it's their idea. We should all seek out the best quality we can serve to our clients and customers.....Welcome to Cheftalk.......ChefBillyB

Markpastry likes this.
  5. Markpastry

Markpastry

Exp:
    Many thankstfor the responses. Like the blind test idea alot. We are both using italian meringue, I bring my syrup a few degrees lower though, the mixing methods are different as well as final cooking temps and times. Have just made some shells to reassure myself. Thanks chefbillyb really agree with you. Once again many thanks

6. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    This is one of those times I wish there was tasting option on this website.

Markpastry likes this.
  7. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    It's not really a problem. You're always supposed to do it the way the establishment you're working at wants you to do.

You can try to present your better method, but it's up to the chef or the owner to decide.

What's best for you is to keep this method to yourself, and one day, when you become a chef or an owner, bring out this better method to blow your competitors away and make lots of money.

sgsvirgil likes this.
  8. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    And never give away your secrets. Whenever I'm asked for a recipe, I always give a version of it. That way, they will never get it to taste like mine and will always keep coming back. ;-) Otherwise, if they could make at home the food that I charge them for, what need would they have for me?? :)

Thank God I'm retired! My goodness this wine is good!! o_O Sorry....rambling a bit there.... :-D

fatcook, chefwriter and Markpastry like this.
  9. Markpastry

Markpastry

Exp:
    Thanks for the responses. Here is a pic of some made yesterday.[​IMG]

10. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Personally, I don't mind or worry too much about giving people a recipe in terms of the ingredient list and amount.

It's the directions that I usually skimp on; part of it from the laziness to elaborate, and the other part from the belief that you cannot replicate a dish without a thorough mastery of the techniques behind that dish.

Markpastry, sgsvirgil and kuan like this.
  11. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Technique is so important. The most important IMO.

Pat Pat, sgmchef and sgsvirgil like this.
  12. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yeah the image is broken.

Pat Pat likes this.