Hello all

Joined Dec 22, 2017
It’s nice to have found this community! I’m a bit of a different fish in this pond. I’m transitioning into a different career and am looking to talk with chefs / cooks in this field. I’d also love to talk to other transitioners to see what their experience has been like.

I have always wanted to work in a kitchen. I love the goods and bads of working in a kitchen. I love to bake and cook for others and wanted to make a career out of it, but family pressure caused me to settle for cooking / entertaining for friends while working the past 8 years as a social worker. I got burned out on social work really quickly and, after a lot of things happened recently in my life, I decided I was going to pursue the career I wanted originally. I know it’ll be hard starting all over at 32, but I always love a challenge.

I am enrolled in culinary school (Art Institute of Charlotte) and I start the 8th of January. I’m trying to find a job doing anything in the kitchen so I can get experience under my belt.

So hello!

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi Katmath!

You can find other transitional culinary folks in the student section for sure!

Something to consider, show up ready to work at a restaurant where you like the food, some Saturday afternoon, tell them you are a culinary student, and ask if you can help in the kitchen, for free. When I did this, and they saw I worked hard and paid attention, they ended up paying me anyway. Just a thought!

Welcome and don't be shy about asking questions!

Latest posts

Top Bottom