Hello all

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by KatMath, Dec 22, 2017.

1. KatMath

KatMath

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    It’s nice to have found this community! I’m a bit of a different fish in this pond. I’m transitioning into a different career and am looking to talk with chefs / cooks in this field. I’d also love to talk to other transitioners to see what their experience has been like.

I have always wanted to work in a kitchen. I love the goods and bads of working in a kitchen. I love to bake and cook for others and wanted to make a career out of it, but family pressure caused me to settle for cooking / entertaining for friends while working the past 8 years as a social worker. I got burned out on social work really quickly and, after a lot of things happened recently in my life, I decided I was going to pursue the career I wanted originally. I know it’ll be hard starting all over at 32, but I always love a challenge.

I am enrolled in culinary school (Art Institute of Charlotte) and I start the 8th of January. I’m trying to find a job doing anything in the kitchen so I can get experience under my belt.

So hello!

Eugene Richter likes this.
  2. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hi Katmath!

You can find other transitional culinary folks in the student section for sure!

Something to consider, show up ready to work at a restaurant where you like the food, some Saturday afternoon, tell them you are a culinary student, and ask if you can help in the kitchen, for free. When I did this, and they saw I worked hard and paid attention, they ended up paying me anyway. Just a thought!

Welcome and don't be shy about asking questions!