Hello about rissoler potatoes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gus20, Jul 15, 2003.

1. gus20

gus20

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hello friends, its Gustavo from Lima, Perú. Hello I hope u are ok!
    I have a question, at school I learnt to prepare rissoler potatoes, i had to blanch the turned pottaoes, after i had to move them a little in a pan with oil, abd after it goes to the oven till they have a perfect bronzed, and after i stir the oil i dont need, and finally add a little of butter, they look very well, but the crust taste hard, not soft, I asked to my chef, she told me the crust must be crunched, like a fried potatoe, very crocante, but the crust taste hard, strong in my mouth, so I ask the rissoler poatoes are are in thta way? am i doing sonething bad? Nad other question, why do i have to blanch the potatoes first? why do i have to put move them a little in the pan with oil? WHY? what do i gte with that method? Thanks for asnwering , and thanks if u could tell me where can i get that information!!!!!thanks and i hope u can understand my english!

Saludos!!!!!!!!!!!y sonrían!!!!!!!!!!!
    take care and smile!!!!!!

Gustavín!

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Gustavo,

If you didn't blanch your potatoes first, you would have to fry them even longer before they were fully cooked. This would mean an even tougher exterior! Blanching allows for a shorter cooking time in the oven, just enough to crisp the exterior and finish off the interior.

I like to use clarified butter instead of oil to make mine; the flavour is better and the exterior is never tough. My guess is that you sauteed your potatoes too long and your oven was perhaps too high. Try it again at home using different techniques. Let us know what you learn.

3. gus20

gus20

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Thanks ILL use diffrent techniques, thanks ill do it!