heat tint

Joined Nov 8, 2002
I recently purchased some Paderno cookware. I have found that the stainless steel interior bottom is very susceptible to heat tint (blue and yellowish marks). This happens even at medium-low heat. It is easily cleaned with a stainless steel cleanser. My question is, does heat tint tend to diminish with use/time or should I be prepared with steel cleanser for the life of the pots?

Joined Oct 19, 2002
A "heat tint" of yellow to blue indicates the steel has been heated to 400-600F. (Yellow at the lower temp, blue at the higher.) Did this happen while you were cooking, or might the pan have been left over the heat with nothing in it?

Joined Nov 8, 2002
I happens when cooking. I put the saucepan on low heat (3 out of 10 on the stove dial) and added some vegetable soup to be reheated. I turned the heat up to 5 or 6 (don't know what temperature that would be) and slowly heated until hot. The pot was heated only briefly (15 seconds max.) on low heat with nothing in it. When I washed it and dried it, I noticed a rainbow of blue/yellow colours. This has happened with two brand new saucepans.

Joined Oct 19, 2002
Doing what you just described certainly didn't hit the "tempering colors" I mentioned above.

Now that you've got me thinking; I started buying All-Clad stainless a year or so ago and a few of the pots and pans did just what you're experiencing. I knew that I hadn't hit the temps necessary to cause a tempering color and thought something from my cooking or something about the pan had done it. Like you, I thought that this was disappointing if this were to continue - after laying out many hundreds of dollars on my stuff.

But, only after your last post have I remembered this. The problem went away and I'd forgotten it until now. Hopefully the same will happen with your pots.

Nick

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
While you can get temper color marks, many stainless steels will pick up color tints from other things. I have a Calphalon Stainless Steel fry pan. It gets those yellow and blue swirls in my dish washer. Certainly not the temperatures mentioned. I read something about it once in the paper. It is a heat effect (chemicals can cause it too as in my dishwasher) but not a temper effect. This kind tends to come and go with use. Has no effect on the pan's function, just aesthetics.

Phil

Joined May 26, 2001
It happens on my All-Clads, too, sometimes. And it goes away on its own, too. No effect on cooking properties. Don't let it worry you.

Top Bottom