heartbeat In the W hotel

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I went to Manhatten tonight for a buisness dinner with Arno Schmit, Arno was the Executive Chef at the Waldorf Astoria from 1969/1979. He now consults. Arno was the man that lead me to my job that I have had for 14 years. While I could fill a hundred pages with Arnos history I will tell you about Heartbeat. Ian Shreiger has put together quite a resume of hotels over the past 15 years. The W hotels are no exception. Ultra modern and hip is heartbeat..so I fit in perfectly :D :p
Anyway...Heartbeat is a place that is heart friendly. I started with a Heirloom winter squash soup with sweet North carolina shrimp, a touch of basmati, and drizzeled with chili oil. Excellent flavor, sweet from the squash, nice texture from the shrimp and a tease of heat from the chili oil. Arno had a side dish for his app. asparagus with "Corn Bernaise" ok, asparagus in Febuary? Yep, corn to? yep...but it was pretty good. Pencil grass seasoned with S&P and what we deducted as a purre of fresh and milked corn, pushed through a china cap and simply adorned with a chiffinade of tarragon. Entrees where (Arnos) steamed black bass with lime and baby bok choy, with a soft asian dip... I had roast Lotte, with chanterells, favas, fingerlings in a garlic jus....Excellent. Texture,flavor,aroma,color. Very well done dish. Arno was jealous.
I had picked a nice white from the Loire valley...nice match, happy faces. Dessert for Arno was a orange chocolate lava torte, warm and supple..but nothing new. I had a trio of sorbets...Cantalope, Pineapple and coconut with a meruinge cookie for texture. Very grainy and predictable.
Fair pricing structure, really trendy tea service. (20 teas presented loose on slate for you to admire) Hey, 6 to 12 bucks for tea, I don't think so..:)
Anyway, take a look at Heartbeat. Order carefully. This spot was busy (great to see) but I would give it 2 Capes...
cc
I forgot, steamed edomani with kosher salt was placed on the table to nibble on as we decided our meal

Top Bottom