Heard of Ice Wine?

Joined Oct 12, 1999
I heard a while back about a vinyard that produces wine from grapes that are frozen by nature at the end of the growing season. Don't remember where its from, but would sure like to try it out. Have any of you heard of this "Ice Wine"?

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Ice wine is being produced in many areas these days, some by nature but many are being made by picking the grapes and freezing them, then producing the wine.True icewines or eiswein as there are really called come from germany. the grapes are aloud to hang on the vines into mid winter. They are Gathered early morning while frozen solid and then pressed. it is the water content of the grape that freezes, so the juice seperated from the ice is concentrated in sugar, acid and intense flavor and has great ageing potential. also can fetch the same high prices of a trockenbeerenausleses, considered the finist of all the German wines

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
They are very popular here. I think it started in Ontario. Unfortunatly it is a very expensive wine and they sell it in a very small bottle. I never tasted it myself.

Sisi

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Wow that is amazing, I didn't know that they did that (the repelling). Does anyone have a preferred eiswein that they would recommend for others to try?

------------------
Thanks,

Nicko
[email protected]

Top Bottom