Chef Forum banner

Healthy way to avocado

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  cerise 
#1 ·
I really love avocado! However since it's pretty high in fat, I was wondering if anyone had any healthy recipes that included avocado?

#5 ·
I like avos in or on just about anything, except when they're hot - grilled/baked.  They pair nicely with seafood, i.e. stuffed with crab or shrimp salad, or in fish tacos with pico de gallo and lime juice.  Try avocado devilled eggs, avocado/tomato bruschetta, great in sandwiches (turkey/baacon/avo/tomato), wrapped in prosciutto, add it to your egg salad, in a caprese salad, in a springroll wrapper with salmon and whatever goodies you like.

#7 ·
People of a certain generation go all crazy when they hear the word "fat"  But what kind of fat are we talking.  Are we talking bacon fat?  No!  Suffice it to say that the fat in avocado is a type of fat that your body desperately needs.

You don't need a recipe for a fruit.  Just put it in your salad and eat it.  It's a fruit for crying out loud.

I too do not enjoy cooked avocado.

#8 ·
I don't really have a recipe per say but avacodoes can be used in dairy type foods sick as ice-cream in replace of or at least partially in place of eggs because they work close to the same. Also on good eats by Alton Brown he has a episode devoted to avacodo

#9 ·
..The fat in avocado is actually very healthy. I eat avocados nearly every day...
Does that mean you're healthy @French Fries (just teasing ya!)

Like everybody says here, avocados are healthy, period.

(you may be concerned with the amounts of calories if you're on a calorie restricted diet. You can't go wrong if you need to save calories somewhere else to make room for avocados. They make you full after eating and will help reduce cravings for sweets later)

win win,

Luc H.

#17 ·
Another healthy, refreshing dish is Gazpacho. Serve it in a bowl (w quesadillas on the side), or in shot glasses, topped w cooked/grilled shrimp, sliced avocado, lime wedges, croutons - whatever floats your Gazpacho boat. Edamole is another idea.  Mashed cooked edamame mixed with mashed avocado, and all the usual guacamole suspects. Chilled avocado soup, is refreshing during the Summer months.. I have a recipe for avocado dressing I'll try to find and share.

#20 ·
Not exactly healthy, but while we are on the subject of all things avocado, I've had delicious avocado ice cream.

Also, avocado toast is a very popular breakfast these days. Just google it and you will find many, many suggestions for how to vary the basic idea of avocado mashed up on a toasted piece of bread. Many are healthy ideas. Others not so much.

#21 ·
Taco Bell's "Mexican" Pizza is my guilty pleasure.  There are various versions on line.  You could make your own lightened-up version at home using low carb tortillas, lean ground beef, chopped tomatoes, red onion, fresh corn, etc.  Sprinkle with shredded Monterey Jack cheese.  Pop it in the oven til the cheese is melted, and top it with sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream, if you like.  Use any combination of Mexican ingredients you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.