health issues

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by edwin fuentes, Sep 1, 2012.

1. edwin fuentes

edwin fuentes

Exp:
    Private Chef
    wondering how most of you guys stay in shape and good health in the kitchens. Do you guys have a workout regiment? I am 33 and have gain weight am at 240 pounds at 5'9 in height. I use to lift weights alot and in good shape at about 190-200 pounds. Now I am always tired.

2. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Don't smoke or drink, get regular rest, run, eat healthy.. it's not rocket science, good luck.

3. cacioepepe

cacioepepe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Word

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Easier said than done.

5. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Based on what? not smoking and drinking is easy if you have any will power or self control.

Getting enough rest and running are, as well, you just have to commit to any of these things.

6. apprentichef

apprentichef

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Based on years and years of medical research that shows that breaking an addiction is very hard. The body develops a dependance on and an actual physical need for the substance. Your casual dismissal of something as serious as a smoking or alcohol addiction means you know absolutely nothing about what you're talking about. Quit trying to be mr. tough guy with your flippant responses to everything you reply to.

7. cacioepepe

cacioepepe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think the OP was about how to stay healthy in this industry, not having to do anything with addiction and substance abuse.  RJ was simply replying to that question.  Although RJ's replies are sometimes 'tough guy' and 'flippant', I think he just tries to cut through the BS that floats around here, trying to stay on topic and focus on the actual thread.  You might try the same.

8. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Don't talk to me about addiction, I know firsthand more about it than you ever will. Don't ever start smoking or drinking, and nobody would put themselves in such a position. Nobody is forced to use drugs, friend.

Don't like my replies? get over it and ignore me, i'm here for industry and food questions, not to weed through grab bag off topic threads.

9. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Quitting smoking is not easy, BUT possible.

I did it 33 years ago . After My first heart attack my cardiologist pointed at a sign he had put up behind his desk.

"Every smoker quits smoking sooner or later ;

Only the smart ones do it while they are still alive ! ! !

For 7 years he pointed at this sign and asked me every time if I am too stupid to read  ? Back home in Germany we have an old  saying that tells you that once you reach the age of 40 you are considered to be grown up and therefore smart .

A few weeks before my 40th birthday I did become a nonsmoker.  I am not sure yet if I turned smarter on my 40th, but I do  very well without my cigarettes

I did the same with drinking alcohol ten years later when the same cardiologist told me I had to exercise to loose weight. I simply stopped the beer,wine and booze and did loose weght the lazy way.
    I told myswelf at the time that beeing a drunk tor 50 years was enoungh and I promised myself a case of Don Perignon should I reach 100 .

10. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Congrats on both accounts.

11. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Thank you,

And I did it cold turkey both times ,  and  now hope I can afford my Dom Perignon and still  be well eough to enjuy it too

12. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I understand what you're saying, but sometimes, saying things a different way can get you more acceptance.  Sometimes people need to just realize that they need to do stuff, but beating them over the head over and over again doesn't help.

13. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm going to agree with Apprentichef   here.  Now, as with many other replies of yours SquirrelRJ,  you come off very aggravating with your attitude.  As far as smoking and/or drinking issues, I sure as sure don't need any "tough guy" or "flippant" anybody telling me anything.  It's not an easy fight to quit habits such as these, and I'll also include "over-eating".  It's also not so easy to stop from choking the bageebies out of every smartyclown telling me to quit.  
    Yeah,  OK,  I'm happy for you. 

14. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Yet again, I don't care how I am perceived by anyone, whether here or in my everyday life. My "attitude" has me where I am to this point, I think i'll stick with it.

Nobody said it was an easy fight, hence why I said don't start in the first place, it's a choice you made, deal with the consequences.

15. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    People that truly feel that way don't take the time to proclaim it.

16. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Sure thing, Dr.Phil /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

It definitely took a lot of time and effort to make the statement I did.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  17. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Didn't say that it took a lot of time and effort.

18. squirrelrj

squirrelrj Banned

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Keep stirring that pot.

You can have the last word. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

19. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yippee!!!

20. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There you go.    Make a really good statement.         I'm happy for you still. 

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012