Head shaker.....

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by foodpump, May 24, 2016.

1. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    So yesterday, the wife and I go into a local café for coffees.  Girl at the front counter served us.  Attractive, 20-ish, wearing a work-appropriate top that ended at her waist and tight black leggings.  O.k. so far appropriate for a coffee place.  Strapped to her right thigh, with some kind of a mnfctrd elastic holster, was her cell phone......  James Bond, eat yer heart out....

Had to give my head a shake.  O.K., yeah most servers have their cellphone jammed in their rear pocket, never paid it much thought.  And, yeah, it figures, that with those tight black leggings, the girl has no pockets.

But-tumm,---ah the "old fart" in me would tell the girl to shove the phone in her locker, or wherever she keeps her coat and purse.  Owner was right beside her, so he must have o.k.'d the said fashion item. 

2. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's amazing how attached people have become to their cellphones, especially it seems the younger generation and by that I mean people in their 20s and younger.   Maybe it's the "old fart" in me but I wonder why they need to be so connected all the time?

3. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Um....im afraid my viewpoint will be somewhat........tainted
    my friend, even though Im older than you. This due to my
    being, and having grown up in Sothern Calif, Los Angeles area.
    The image you describe seems quite docile to me, as I prepare
    to go about my day no doubt encountering school girls with
    so much eyeshadow they look beaten, young guys standing in
    line with their shorts around their knees proudly displaying a full
    10 inches of their....boxer shorts, pulling up beside a classic chevy
    with open windows while my own vibrate from the loud rap music
    pouring into the open air, containing many words i couldnt bring
    myself to say aloud even secluded in a forest...and of course a ....
    colorful.... waitress or two trying to assert their individuality while
    serving folks their coffee and vittles. There she stands, one in particular
    at a ....family type restaurant we frequent, with her tats crawling
    up her arm (and down a thigh) her lip piercings, her glitter nails, all
    topped off with a 3 inch wide streak of bright purple hair running through the
    dirty blonde. "Im sorry could you repeat that about the special?"
    (because i couldnt understand a word of it due to that tongue
    ring of yours. Its like learning a whole new language)
    And yet, in the end....I find myself considering her kind of cute.
    What is WRONG with me?? Oh yeah, Ive been in LA too long, that's all.

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Being connected to your phone disconnects you from the present, which is where life actually happens.

Yes I realize you are in labor dear, but your screams are making it difficult for me to concentrate on my tweeting!    :~)    :~)   :~)

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  5. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Foodpump, your in Vancouver BC, I know there is much worse than that. We go through Nelson BC to go up to Ainsworth Hot Springs. This is a small town with a hippy feel of the 70's. Nothing surprises me in todays world. When I really think I've seen it all I go through Portland, Oregon and it shows me more than I can handle. 

leeniek, you are an old fart!

6. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Move to the sfv and hang out in BH. ;-)

It's a different world we live in now.

In the workplace, in my experience, personal phone calls were not allowed.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  7. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Nothing. I sometimes feel the same way. If they can do their job, then who cares? Maybe it's because I live in NYC? 

Starbucks doesn't allow visible tats. I personally hate starbucks, but the woman I saw had bandaids all over her hands and wrists. I asked why and she said "policy." Tattoos are relatively ubiquitous nowadays. Why so conservative and stringent? For a coffee shop catering to hipsters and the lowest common denominator? Outliers should be embraced, not ostracized. Within reason of course, but that is where the confusion/ arguments start. 

As far as phones? Again. As long as they do their jobs and are attentive. Even if you are working, it doesn't mean your employer owns you. You have the right to coordinate your life while at work. Within reason, of course. You are not a slave to the owner for the entire 8-10 hour shift. Todays method of communication is immediate. Not like in the old days when people would wait a 24 hours to get back to you and were more proactive about scheduling their lives.

I was at the METropolitan Museum cafe in New York, and I had to practically stand up and wave like I was stranded on an island to get the waitstaff's attention. They purposefully ignored customers, and stood by their station like soldiers guarding the palace. They had uniforms and looked all the same = Wactors or actor wannabees. They were too good to provide water or the missing butter. That was for the hispanic runners and busboys. 

I'm far more concerned with people texting and driving, or texting and walking, or texting while in a movie theater. Or talking loudly on a bus or train.

8. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL ... "The World of Entitlement".

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' ... I don't know about Starbucks' policy, in general, but by my house lots of the coffee workers have visible tatts. Whenever I'm in place with a no service kinda attitude  ... I just start tossing stuff around ... like launching stuff with a spoon-catapult. People start moving. My wife usually gets ready to walk out. 

9. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I guess I should clarify a bit...Its not the server's choice of clothing or how she wants to assert herself.Its just that she has her phone strapped to her leg....Now, I'm going to assume that she has some kind of house key, car key, or bike key, that she has some kind of wallet with some kind of money and some kind of I.D.But these aren't strapped to her leg, those are probably sitting in a locker or drawer.O.k. Yes I am an employer, and yes, I expect employees to work for me for the hours I pay them. However, like many employers, my employees have two coffee breaks and one lunch break per shift. It goes without saying, that what you do on your break is your business. In other words you have the opportunity to check your phone every two hours. I also have a soft spot for working Moms and know they have to check in with their kids, or employees who have elderly at home to look after. But a pretty 20-something?I dunno, seeing a phone stuck in a back pocket doesn't get me, but having a phone strapped to your leg does......

10. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    As was said, I might understand if you are a working mom and have children at home or take care of a elderly parent. But 99% of the time texts and calls are complete BS. Cell phones have become an addiction as evidenced by people having to have a phone in their hand. I read awhile ago that some company is marketing a piece of plastic about the size of an iPhone that you can use to wean yourself off the addiction.

11. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey foodpump ... All things being what they were ... did she at the very least ... have nice looking legs?!? Did she have some bit of a hot look w/ the phone strapped to her leg?!? I mean ... you know ... was it worth the effort?!?

12. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yup, she did.

13. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Okay.  I just tried it, and playing Angry Birds and Candy Crush is a little tricky in a standing position. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   Might need one of these.

14. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well then fp ... there it is ... If she can show it off ... she can show it off. Maybe she uses it kinda like a "sales tool".

Think of it this way ... Would you rather it be HER or ME serving you your coffee?!?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  15. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Well. You didnt say in your original post that she had great legs--
    that changes everything!! :p

Seriously though, I think the problem at the core is that having it strapped to her
    leg and easily accessible, sort of silently implies an intent to USE it.
    To initiate a call sure, but much more likely to receive them.
    Here you have a phone that at any time can ring 3 feet from the customers nose
    when she's standing at the table.
    If I got right down to it, I suppos I would find that distracting too.

16. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Even in small town America, you'll find the pierced, tattooed, and colorful hair.

Things is, in these places people stare at you and refuse to be served by you.

Server with her nose, and eyebrow piercings comes to your table with her 8 month old baby in her arms, and her enlarged breasts staring at you to take your order.

Nothing new here.

17. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Come on now ... I think it's a bit of a stretch with the baby and enlarged breasts. 

18. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree the baby has to go. Now lets order, I'll have two of everything.

19. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I carry a cell phone instead of a medic alert.  "help I've fallen and I can't get up"

20. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Frankly, none of us really know what this woman does "outside" the environs of her job at a coffee shop. Sure, a lot can be trivial, but then again, so can 90% of every conversation ever had. This woman might have other gigs going on, either with music or art or whatever. You simply don't know if she needs to respond to inquires in a timely manner. Today that means immediately. Give people the freedom to have a life, just like office workers do when they gab around the water cooler, take 1.5 hour lunches, or surf the internet for their next vacation. Service workers deserve the same liberties as managers and executives. I don't deny the addictive nature and how people sometimes use them like pacifiers, but I try not to make sweeping generalizations about people. Moms and care givers aren't the only reasons to be 'available.' Again, as long as she does her job and is attentive and productive. 

I also wouldn't trust a BOH locker to protect an $800 computer. I'd strap it to my leg as well if I had no pockets. Surely being a waitress at a coffee shop pays enough to replace it if it gets stolen, right?

It also occurred to me that fashion designers are teaming up with tech to integrate computers with clothing. Maybe she was making a fashion statement. 

Last edited: May 25, 2016