Have you already heard about Nesmuk knives? What do you think about them?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by herkuleschef, Sep 17, 2014.

1. herkuleschef

herkuleschef

Exp:
    Home Chef
    The reason for my question (and my sign up here): I discovered a really great looking cutlery in Germany: Nesmuk! They claim to achive the perfect knife. With extraordinary blades, steels and materials for the handles - most knives are handmade in ancient tradition.  The prices reach from 300 to about 5000 Euro (!).

Can anyone tell me if they are really worth the price? What do you think about Nesmuk (for forming your opinion, maybe have a look at: http://nesmuk.de/en) .

Looking forward for your guesses...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    They're not in a design or style that is of interest to me personally.  Too much curvature in the handle, too much gap between the handle and the blade so a pinch grip gets weird. Shallow hollow grinds, which are poorly suited to kitchen work.  Blades are on the short side.

I find it interesting the choice of name. Nessmuk was the chosen name of George Sears, a well known outdoorsman. His cutting tools were a folding pocket knife, a hump backed drop point sort of skinner and a double bit hatchet. . 

3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    That's interesting, because my first thought was that it kind of looks like a skinning knife.  I can't think of any task in my kitchen that is not better filled by other knives I already have.  The handles look uncomfortable and the blade shapes are weird and also very short.

4. herkuleschef

herkuleschef

Exp:
    Home Chef
  5. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Over priced, over marketed, kinda santoku blades.

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    And  the profile is a refinement of a Tosagata santoku, that sells for $50 or so.

7. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks to considerable original work in biomechanics and motor control I can adapt to almost any knife very well.  That being said, I would much sooner adapt myself to the Vic Rosewood chef's I bought just to see how good a $40 knife it made - rather than that $$$$ oddball Nesmuk.

Rick