Hatch Peppers????

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by panini, Nov 4, 2002.

1. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Just had a piece of hatch pepper apple crumb.
    Good customer brought in a portion for me. What a delightful pairing of "sort of poblano" fresh apples and spices and crumb topping.
    He said that it was a family recipe that was only made in a small window when the hatch peppers were picked. I believe he's from New Mexico.
    Any info???

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hatch New Mexico is a small town famous for its green chiles.

You can find canned ones that are OK. Frozen are better. I'll look in one of my books for a recommended mail order source.

Phil

3. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The Border Cookbook by Cheryl and Bill Jamison lists a dedicated outlet.

Hatch Chile Express (505) 267-3226

A web search turns up their home paged as www.hatch-chile.com

Looks like a fun site actually. I've added it to my bookmarks.

Phil

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Phil,
    Your the man!! Well I think you a man. If your a woman your still the man!
    I will tweek this recipe as soon as I get some chilies and post a recipe.

5. fyfas

fyfas

Exp:
    Can't Boil Water
    I'm in New Mexico (Santa Fe) and the fresh chile season is nearly over.

Generally speaking, beginning in late summer as the crop begins to be harvested, bags of chiles are available everywhere from chain grocery store parking lots to Mom-and-Pop roadside stands. Each seller has a propane powered roaster (giant hand-rotated basket) into which the large burlap bag of fresh chiles is poured. Once roasted, back into the bag they go, and home you go.

Most famous are from Hatch but some sellers sell those from Soccoro and the chiles from Chimayo in Northern New Mexico are notable. Real chile heads claim to be able to tell the diffderence.

In New Mexico every self-respecting hamburger sports half a roasted green chile as does even a lowly Club Sandwich. Fine eating !

6. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've heard about the Chimayo. Never seen it around where I am, but it would be fun to try them side by side.

Phil

7. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The Hatch Chiles are world famous. They are sold canned in the southwest - as well as fresh at harvest time.

The growers all take their portable roasters and put them in parking lots (like Wal-Mart) and sell freshly roasted Hatch Chiles to those willing to wait for them to be roasted. Then, the customers take them home and can enough green chile to last till next harvest season!

They really are a cut above. There are probably sources online to get them. They are worth seeking out.

I really acquired an appreciation for sweet paired with smoky while I lived in the southwest. Evidence is my peach/chipotle jam. Used to sell out of it all the time at the farmer's market.