Hashbrowns from scratch?

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Looking for your tried and true suggestions for making the perfect hashbrowns from scratch. The kind that are grated, not diced.

(crispy on the outside and tender on the inside) :)

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Do you mean Potato Rosti?

There are two methods, one with cooked potatoes, one with uncooked. I prefer the latter. I also prefer shredding the potatoes. The implement I use is different but the disks are similar. Take a look.

Heat some oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan (All-Clad works the best for me) and add the grated/shredded potatoes; flatten them out evenly, add 4 pieces of cold butter all around on the side of the pan, s&p. Cover.

Every minute or so, remove the cover and dry the inside. You don't want any water dripping over the potatoes. Do that until the potatoes are brown underneath. Shake the pan once in a while just to make sure nothing is adhering to it.

Flip it over to brown the other side. Do not cover. Cook until brown and crispy. Flip again and transfer to a serving plate.
Top with some fresh herbs. To serve, cut into wedges.

You can make smaller versions, about 6 inches in diameter if you prefer.

:p

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Mar 9, 2000
After shredding the raw potato run under cold water until the water runs clear then before cooking pat the shredded potato dry, this will rid you of excess starch and I believe you will have a better quality final product.

Joined Jun 12, 2001
I mix sweet potatoes in with red potatoes when I do my breakfast hash browns (as well as carmelized onions for sweetness).

I like that idea about rinsing the startch out. Thanks.

H

Joined Mar 9, 2000
Yes, have you ever noticed when making home made fries that seem to get very dark in the oil before the potatoes are cooked? Well if you don't rinse the excess starch this will happen. Starch browns then burns fairly rapidly at least faster than the potatoes will have time to crisp and cook through.

Joined Jun 1, 2001
Here's my ring on these changes... a low-fat, tasty (to me and all victims so far, at any rate) variation.

To serve 2:
2 medium (approx. 4 oz) potatoes, coarsely grated (yellow-fleshed ones are particularly nice)
Scant half-teaspoon (or less, to taste) salt
1/4 tsp sweet paprika, or mix of hot & sweet paprika
Black pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 - 1 1/2 tbsp chickpea flour (besan)

Mix all ingredients well. Heat an 8" skillet to medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or oil lightly.

Either spread potatoes in one disc over the bottom of the pan, or form small "pancakes," pressing the tops lightly so they adhere. Potato mix should be about 1/3 - 1/2 inch thick.

Cook until first side is golden and crispy, turning down heat a bit if necessary. Turn, and cook the other side. (Another quick spray of cooking oil underneath helps here.) Be sure to cook right through, as raw chickpea flour is MOST unappealing.

It's tasty, and the chickpea flour adds both moistness and a lovely savoury flavour.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
To rinse or not to rinse...another great eternal debate. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on what I want as a final product. Rinsing the potatoes, washes all the starch off of the surface. This will allow you fry your hashbrowns at a higher temp., thus more quickly. And if you like loose hashbrown with lots of crispy edges this is the way to go. The other way, not rinsing, makes things a little trickier. You have to watch the heat a little more. But if you like your hashbrowns more like a potato pancake this is the way to go. In a med. hot skillet pack the unrinsed grated potatoes into a ring (I like to fill it half full, put a layer of cheese & onion or mushrooms, and then top with more potatoes). Allow to slowly cook until you have a thick crust of golden brown potatoes and then flip and cook the other side. What you end up with is a hashbrown cake with 2 crispy sides and a soft, moist, almost creamy interior.

Top Bottom