Has anyone tried making their own curry powder?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Mar 17, 2019.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have a craving curry powder roast chicken. The kind of curry powder you can find in western supermarkets.

Only I don't have curry powder. I have tons of spices, but no spice mixes, so no curry powder.

I found recipes online for curry powder, including typically turmeric, cumin, coriander, dried mustard seeds and sometimes more.

Before I dive in, has anyone tried any of those recipe or have a recipe of their own? How close can you get from the off-the-shelf curry powder taste?

Thanks!

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I did it once. the version I made had fenugreek as well. Can't say it was better than commercial.

french fries likes this.
  3. bonkerz58

bonkerz58

I want to try using some smoked salts but I don't know where to start.. Who uses them? What brand do you prefer...and why? Thanks for any input

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks Phatch for the feedback. I'm not looking for better than commercial to be honest, I'm just wondering if I can get close, without having to go to the store. Was the one you made unmistakable for curry powder or did it taste different from the commercial stuff?

Truth be told I walked in my neighbor's frontyard to say hi this morning and instantly told him "I smell curry powder." He smiled and said yes, I said "curry powder roasted chicken?" and he said yes. Now all day long I've been craving a curry powder roasted chicken, only I have a chicken but no curry powder. Sure, I could just borrow my neighbor's — but I thought this could be a fun exercise.

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It lacked complexity of some sort as I recall.

french fries likes this.
  6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    listed in order of volume contributed, greatest first
    coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, cardamom pods, cayenne pepper, cloves, fenugreek leaves, black peppercorns

dectra and french fries like this.
  7. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I make my own garam masala from whole spices that I toast and grind. It is much better than the commercial variety.
    I sprinkle or stir in dried fennugreek leaves on the finished dish, I don't put it in the garam masala. I've used toasted and ground fennugreek seed for chicken masala. It's different that the dried leaves.

Emojitsu likes this.
  8. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    Curry powder recipes?
    ..could be a huge debate..
    If I follow a specific recipe for a curry dish, it seems to be OK.
    As to a "curry powder" recipe? There's probably thousands out there.
    Sweeter tasting might be a bit more mango powder or cardamon, S. Asian flavour might be a bit more cumin, Vietnamese use more anise,..others more nutmeg..

I just buy them now ..for consistency.
    3 kinds of Vietnamese curry powders: red, yellow & ?
    Local S. Asian store carries "bulk" curry powder...whatever that may be..
    Have Malaysian curry powder (cheap for a small foil bag), but a bit bitter for my liking.
    Lots of Thai curry pastes.. those small 99 cent plastic bags are nice!.. red, green, masaman, etc.
    One of my faves is Montego Jamaican curry powder (mild)..450G cardboard can..if you can find it..
    Google is your friend! ;)

9. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I generally sort of make my own. That means that I use spices specific for the dish I am making, not really a generic.
    Currently I really like Jamaican curry powder (on the African Bites website www.africanbites.com)
    Madhur Jaffrey has a number of good ones as well

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for all the input guys. I also make my own Garam Masala, toasting whole spices and grinding them in my mortar and pestle. I understand "curry" is a vast world, I've made many curry pastes etc.... but here I was trying to reproduce the ONE standardized western non-authentic curry powder taste. It seems like in most brands there's ONE curry powder (for example McCormick has only one listed on their spice list on their website) that's the standardized stuff. That's what I'm going for this time around.

Thanks!

Unknown.jpeg

11. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ingredient list on McCormick:
    CORIANDER, FENUGREEK, TURMERIC, CUMIN, BLACK PEPPER, BAY LEAVES, CELERY SEED, NUTMEG, CLOVES, ONION, RED PEPPER, AND GINGER

french fries likes this.
  12. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks cheflayne! Are those ingredients listed in order of importance?

13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know. Pulled it off of their website. Usually that is the way ingredients are listed.

14. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Cool thanks I'm diving in, we'll see what it tastes like.

15. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Whole spices are toasting.

I ended up going with:

2 Tbsp Coriander
    2 Tbsp Cumin
    1.5 Tbsp Turmeric
    2 t Ginger
    1 t Yellow Mustard
    .5 t Cardamom
    .5 t Black Peppercorns
    .5 t White Peppercorns
    .5 t Cinnamon
    .5 t Fenugreek
    .5 t Celery
    .5 t Cayenne

16. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok, chicken is in the oven. Doesn't really smell close to that curry powder smell I'm used to but we'll see. Thanks all!

17. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Chicken was great, and definitely tasted of curry. Thanks for the help everyone!

18. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    french fries likes this.
  19. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks Butzy I will! :D

20. DaxCooks

DaxCooks

Exp:
    What?
    Curry powder is just a blend make your own, fancy curry powder might have the blend dialed in (I made this mistake in college and my then Indian girlfriend looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked her to bring me some when she went home "curry isn't a spice it's a blend of spices"). Find a recipe close to your favorite commercial blend (just get the listed spices) and make a small batch. Adjust it as necessary. I can't remember the last time I didn't blend my own. Tumeric, Corriander, and Cumin are the three I've seen in every blend I've looked at. Ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, are all things I've seen in the mixes.