Has anyone seen/heard-of tampering with food in food establishments?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
We got pickle chips in a 5-gallon bucket.

I not only worried about guys alone in the walk-in, but the mean girls too!

Last edited:
Joined Jan 31, 2012
um not locked in so much as "locked together" if you GMM...
"Wheres Brandon?"
"In the walk-in"
"So is Tiffy....so theyre in there together again huh?"

i agree with Chef Hoff...knarly stuff happens any where with any age group
of employees....when i mentioned teens and young adults I was referring to
mainly fast food and intentional tampering.
The spatula incident i spoke of was in a full service restaurant, and the cook
who showed me had worked there for 13 years! Now thats a lot of trash-can germs.
(insert green nautious smiley here) :p

Joined Nov 22, 2015

Aside from deliberate malicious practices like food tampering, there are far more instances of often horrendous

practices due to negligence, ignorance, or just simple laziness. For instance, one place I worked on the line, 

the very first night I worked, the one "training me" showed me a small spatula hanging on the wall near the line, 

that they used to spread a thick sauce on a pastry product. It was sticky stuff, so after they were done with it 

they "cleaned" it by wiping it on the side of the trash can....and hung it back on the hook. This practice certainly

was easier and quicker for them than cleaning or wiping it, and it all seemed perfectly normal to them./img/vbsmilies/smilies/surprised.gif  **
The spatula incident i spoke of was in a full service restaurant, and the cook
who showed me had worked there for 13 years! Now thats a lot of trash-can germs.
(insert green nautious smiley here) /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif
 I thought about this for awhile and realized I sometimes do something similar but of course not nearly as bad. Sometimes I wipe my knife backwards on the edge of my station's trash can to get gunk off of it. However I have a small 18" x 32"ish inch SS table flanking my station that holds a sani bucket of hot soapy water and one holding sani water, both with side towels in them and a metal and brillo scrubby in the soapy one. If I do scrape gunk off my knife, (Garde-manager station btw, so very little cross contamination risk.) my muscle memory always is to bring my knife to the soapy water and wipe, and then sani water wipe and then dry wipe on one of my side towels on my belt. I never really thought about it until your post, as it honestly happens in a flash. I do the same with some other utensils when necessary. Is this okay? I don't see anything wrong with it, and only ask because I was never trained on my station (I was hired to set up the station and create the position.) and my chef never mentioned anything, which means nothing is wrong I suppose./img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif  

Last edited:
Joined Jan 31, 2012
My personal opinion is that if youre always doing a quick sani on it after the scrape, well, thats better than nothing since youre 

killing germs most likely, and likely washing them away too. However, youre not using the full sani procedure, ..i.e., 

wash in hot soapy, rinse, etc,. Which just means that if a Health Official saw your "scrape-n-dip" procedure, followed by the 

knife being used to cut up fruit say, well they might frown on that a bit. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif  I imagine they would see it as similar to dropping

a utensel on the floor--they would expect you to pick it up and walk back to the dishwashing station with it.

And admittedly, I've developed some less than great habits myself over the years, its all just part of human error. 

Last edited:
Joined Feb 24, 2015
Well...I think we all have developed some of these "little" habits...and truth be told, as long as you "clean" the kitchen utensils it is all good.

Just don't be using the knife you just cut the raw chicken with to dice the apple that goes into the fruit salad - not that these two tasks should be performed in the same area or with the same knife :)

Getting back to the original question - yes, I am sure it does happen.

Just like it happens that when you get your car fixed, they might intentionally either break something or leave something for you to find a day after to increase their workload thus their income.

Just like it could happen that the money exchange place during your vacation gives you a bad exchange course to keep some more cash in their pocket.

Just like....

And the list goes on. 

Yes, it can happen and I am sure somewhere out there someone is spitting on a burger right now.

Does it only happen in cheap places? I don't believe so.

Does it only happen with young people working there? Again, I don't believe so.

Quite frankly, as long as you have a crew in the kitchen and in service who enjoy their job, are proud of what they are doing this will NEVER happen.

Simply because it is "your name" on the plate coming out.

Negligence is something that needs to be monitored by the higher ups, and if they don't care, well, it really is not a place I would like to dine at more than that one time.

Joined Jun 9, 2015
I ended up finding a few sites of my own that helped out in finding some info.

I feel like I don't want to eat out anymore...  Just read a review for the Chinese Takeout that I'm currently eating now, and I think I lost my appetite....

I especially hate seeing "toxic substance found near..."  wtf............

Granted, almost every place had a little of something, but still grosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.....................

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Let me tell you a little story about Chinese takeout. It might move you from just a lost appetite to forcing fingers down your throat. We decided to "eat in" at a local Chinesevtakeout joint. We always liked the food. Often it wasn't anything we ordered but it was always tasty. We were served at a table in their small dining area, by the owner himself. But after giving us good he disappeared and never came back. So we waited and waite for the check, and waited some more. Eventually I strolled over to the kitchen door and knocked. No answer so I opened it and called out to the owner. What I saw was piles of chickens being butchered be a couple of guys. The owner rushed me and not only pushed me out of the kitchen door but out the front door into the sidewalk. All the time shouting in his best broken English, "you see too much; you see too much..." I tried paying and he refused, reminding me that I see too much. He just kept yelling until I left. I don't know what I saw so never returned or called for takeout again.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 22, 2015
Let me tell you a little story about Chinese takeout. It might move you from just a lost appetite to forcing fingers down your throat. We decided to "eat in" at a local Chinesevtakeout joint. We always liked the food. Often it wasn't anything we ordered but it was always tasty. We were served at a table in their small dining area, by the owner himself. But after giving us good he disappeared and never came back. So we waited and waite for the check, and waited some more. Eventually I strolled over to the kitchen door and knocked. No answer so I opened it and called out to the owner. What I saw was piles of chickens being butchered be a couple of guys. The owner rushed me and not only pushed me out of the kitchen door but out the front door into the sidewalk. All the time shouting in his best broken English, "you see too much; you see too much..." I tried paying and he refused, reminding me that I see too much. He just kept yelling until I left. I don't know what I saw so never returned or called for takeout again.
This story is pretty funny more than disgusting. However it makes me wonder if you owned a restaurant and  if you wanted to raise your own poultry, pork, beef, or whatever animal; what processes can be done in the same building. At what point from the animal being alive to your plate does it become fabricating the meat for dishes and not a slaughterhouse. Wait I think I read your post wrong, can you elaborate?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
The chickens were already dead and plucked. There were big piles of them on the tables and a couple of guys breaking them down with cleavers.

Joined Nov 22, 2015
My first job was in a Chinese restaurant and I can attest to seeing this kind of thing; don't quite understand why the owner was freaking out. A few places I've rolled through more recently have fabricated whole hogs, tuna, sides of beef, etc. I haven't had the opportunity to learn these skills yet, but as far as what I observed this is usually done on a large dedicated SS table (At least until fabrication is complete and it has been sanitized.) stripped of any storage on the lower shelving and usually least a foot away from any wall or anything else in the kitchen. I believe larger operations dedicated kitchens for this. A John Besh restaurant here in New Orleans I've toured has a dedicated pastry kitchen for several of his restaurants in the area. Emeril's Delmonico has a second story kitchen with only a walk in cooler (For dry aging.), band saw, large SS table and a dish pit.

Last edited:
Joined Jun 9, 2015
All I read in @BrianShaw  's comment was "I worked at a Chinese Takeout and this will make you want to stick fingers down your throat..."

Yeah I think I'll save this comment for another day LOL...

I really liked the tip about health reports/violations.  I found a good site to check stuff out :).

Joined Nov 22, 2015
@LasagnaBurrito  Honestly Brian's post is just weird and funny, not gross. A funny story I can recall is when working as a waiter at a place I can only describe as purgatory for waitstaff (Seriously I've Quit, Got fired, Been asked to come back, and Asked to have my job back at least twice each, in no particular order /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif) I came through the kitchen entrance through a corridor with bussed dishes to be blocked by a rat. After a brief staring contest, and a few muffled curses to get the thing to startle and scurry out the way, I had had it. I grabbed the heaviest spoon off my stack of plates and hummed it into its head like a Japanese throwing kunai, clocking it right in the head/img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif. The thing just looked up and cocked its head like "What's up with that dude? Your totally blowing my rat poison high mannn...". So I put the plates on the ice machine and got a broom and dustpan, swept the paralyzed rodent up and deposited him to the nearest Bourbon St. garbage can. My best friend/asst.manager and I Lmaoed at every cig break about the incident, citing it as another reason we gotta get outta that place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom