Has anyone had their homemade beef stock professionally analysed for nutrition?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by riffwraith, Apr 24, 2018.

1. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    I was thinking of sending some beef stock that I make to one of these places that does Nutritional Analysis. Wondering if anyone has ever done this, and if so, if you wouldn't mind sharing the results.

Cheers.

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Why would you spend that kind of money? Your next batch won't be the same. Large companies can keep theirs consistent because of the huge amounts they make and by sourcing a very consistent product. Each time you make yours it will change so I don't see what doing it once will give you. Secondly, I am sure that the internet, and even recipe software, like Mastercook, can give a good ballpark figure of what the analysis would be for your stock.

sgsvirgil and rogernelson like this.
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here is a breakdown from Lobel's Meat Bible: All You Need to Know About Meat and Poultry from America's Master Butchers

: yield 7 cups
    • Calories56
    • Carbohydrates0 g(0%)
    • Fat5 g(7%)
    • Protein3 g(6%)
    • Saturated Fat1 g(7%)
    • Sodium59 mg(2%)
    • Polyunsaturated Fat1 g
    • Fiber0 g(0%)
    • Monounsaturated Fat2 g
    • Cholesterol15 mg(5%)

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    ^^^ Need to skim better. ;)

5. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks, but that doesn't really help. my stock and theirs could be vastly diff, and there is no mineral content in their findings.

6. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Why would you spend that kind of money?

Yes - I know... pretty penny. But if I can afford it, and am curious as to know what my body is getting... why would I not do it?

Large companies can keep theirs consistent because of the huge amounts they make and by sourcing a very consistent product. Each time you make yours it will change so I don't see what doing it once will give you.

AFIK, manus reserve a certain amount from each batch (20-25%, I think), and then incorporate that reserve into the next batch, which is one of the ways they retain consistency from batch to batch. Sure - my batches wont be exactly the same, but if each time I use the same type of bones and the same amount from the same farm, the same amount of water, and the same amount of S&P, herbs and vegs, the results should be pretty close. And I am not looking for exact #'s; don't need them. Just a basic idea.

Secondly, I am sure that the internet, and even recipe software, like Mastercook, can give a good ballpark figure of what the analysis would be for your stock.

Not necessarily. Too many variables.

Thanks!

7. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well then, what good is someone here on the forum posting their results, since the stock you make and the one someone else makes will be "vastly different" (as you put it)? Why ask the question in the first place if you aren't looking for a starting point/ballpark figure. Isn't that the intent of your original posting?

millionsknives likes this.
  8. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Seriously?

"We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

jimyra and millionsknives like this.
  9. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Why not ask? Sure, the analysis will be diff, but you almost make it sound that I am wrong for being curious about someone else's results. What's wrong with being curious? If your friendly neighbor who is a chef as you are, makes the same dish you do, is it wrong to be curious as to how his tastes? He is not going to give you the recipe, so yours will never taste the same... so what good is it to try his?

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Read this entire thread to realize how absurd it is.

harpua likes this.
  11. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    why would you salt and pepper a stock?

jimyra likes this.
  12. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    WTF is absurd? I am sorry, but I don't get it. Let's see if someone has the ability to explain it to me.

13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef

14. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's fine that you asked, nobody has a problem with asking questions or the question, I was merely trying to make a point.

You asked for a "ballpark analysis" / "basic idea" in your post, and when provided that you rejected it as being "vastly different" while at the same time acknowledging that all of the stocks/recipes would be different and there were too many variables.

Like, say I had in fact sent some beef stock I made to a lab and got it analyzed...how is it going to help you since my recipe is going to be different than yours and you said that is bad? Or is it a ballpark figure that you wanted in which case any of the answers above should work OK for your purposes?

The only way to get the answer you seek it to send off your stock to a lab and try your best to re-produce it every time you make it. Nobody here has sent stock off for analysis I'm sure.

Nothing wrong with asking or being curious, again just seems like conflicting lines of thought and I don't think anyone here can provide the answer to your specific question you are looking for. That's all I meant.

15. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok, I see what you are talking about. Yeah, I see where to others it might seem a bit silly. Maybe I wasn't thinking straight... who knows....

N/m, I guess.

To some of the rest of you:

#learnsometact

:)

16. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes, basically what we were trying to tell you first. ;)

17. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes, but that comment was really pointed at others. ;)