Has Anyone Ever Seen This Guy Before?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
My problem with this guy is more of a peeve, really. Like i've already said, he's pure money. He's marketable, relatable, likable, funny and down to earth. These marketable talents have served him well and he is successful because of it.

My peeve is that all he would need to do is take a month or two and learn some actual technique and improve his skills. He already has a good base understanding. He just needs to be taught how to do things correctly like NOT adding garlic powder to the chicken before its deep fried or not using a shallow skillet over an open flame to deep fry wings and then over crowd the pan. etc etc.

He most definitely needs to learn some safe food handling skills, especially when it comes to chicken. Every video he's made that features chicken, showcases his astonishingly poor food handling skills.

With this in mind, how does someone this bereft of actual knowledge manage to operate two reasonably successful restaurants? If I were his executive chef at either establishment, I think I would have a serious problem taking direction from someone who doesn't know something as fundamental as how to safely handle chicken.

While the rise in popularity of the "foodie movement" has benefited us all in some way or another, it has also made guys like this more common. Cooks with poor skills or bad food handling skills are something we've all dealt with at one point or another. But, we could do something about them like teach them proper, safe habits.

I think The internet has made these substandard cooks popular when before the internet, guys like this didn't last long in this business and the probability of them becoming successful was a lot less. In that way, the industry was somewhat self correcting.

So, having said all this, the presence of guys like this is both a blessing and a curse to this industry, IMO.

Thanks everyone for participating. I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and insights. :)

Cheers!

Joined Jan 31, 2012
Contrary to my earlier remark and upon deeper reflection, the fact he lacks real training /experience and doesn't exhibit even common sense food handling for potentially dangerous foods like chicken, yet runs successful restaurants doesnt surprise me, as I've seen it before.
In fact, as a Sous I worked with a celebrity chef, who had a tv column and owned a high end restaurant in a ..... high end city. Over 40 years in the industry. And he made a lot of basic 101 mistakes. And yes even some dangerous ones. He had some skills sure, but he was mostly a showman.
After watching him in action a few days I concluded his restaurant was essentially run by a few dedicated pros who knew their stuff and left the outgoing razzle dazzle to the flim-flambe' (TM) artist.
I see this guy similarly.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 17, 2018
My problem with this guy is more of a peeve, really. Like i've already said, he's pure money. He's marketable, relatable, likable, funny and down to earth. These marketable talents have served him well and he is successful because of it.

My peeve is that all he would need to do is take a month or two and learn some actual technique and improve his skills. He already has a good base understanding. He just needs to be taught how to do things correctly like NOT adding garlic powder to the chicken before its deep fried or not using a shallow skillet over an open flame to deep fry wings and then over crowd the pan. etc etc.

He most definitely needs to learn some safe food handling skills, especially when it comes to chicken. Every video he's made that features chicken, showcases his astonishingly poor food handling skills.

With this in mind, how does someone this bereft of actual knowledge manage to operate two reasonably successful restaurants? If I were his executive chef at either establishment, I think I would have a serious problem taking direction from someone who doesn't know something as fundamental as how to safely handle chicken.

While the rise in popularity of the "foodie movement" has benefited us all in some way or another, it has also made guys like this more common. Cooks with poor skills or bad food handling skills are something we've all dealt with at one point or another. But, we could do something about them like teach them proper, safe habits.

I think The internet has made these substandard cooks popular when before the internet, guys like this didn't last long in this business and the probability of them becoming successful was a lot less. In that way, the industry was somewhat self correcting.

So, having said all this, the presence of guys like this is both a blessing and a curse to this industry, IMO.

Thanks everyone for participating. I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and insights. :)

Cheers!
He'd probably lose some of his popularity if he actually became trained. I would suspect some of his charm is the bumbling fool persona.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I think it's important to understand this guy's audience ... "Joe Public Schmoe" ... NOT professional chefs or anyone else here. The regular hungry home-cooking people of the world just need to feel good when they're in the kitchen and are not concerned with being Michelin Chefs. I think hit hits that population perfectly. YES ... I do think he is wrong about many things, but I don't think that is all so important for those he is aiming for.

Joined Oct 5, 2019
I do think he is wrong about many things, but I don't think that is all so important for those he is aiming for.
Anyone who gets people interested in doing something new in the kitchen is good - but - if you are going to get people to try deep frying you need to show how to do it safely.

Top Bottom