Has Anyone Cooked Fresh Bamboo Shoots?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pollyg, Nov 1, 2001.

1. pollyg

pollyg

I was just cutting some annoying bamboo out of my garden and I came across quite a few fat shoots. I did a little research and found out that you have to blanch them first to get rid of the hydrocyanic acid, but I thought someone here might have some first hand experience with their preperation from the raw state.
    Any asian food experts out there? :lips:

2. w.debord

w.debord

I don't know if this will be of any help....but, I recall a recent segment on Alton Brown s' (on foodtv) show where he was explaining how they process hearts of palm. I didn't see the whole show but perhaps he expanded his discusion to include other products of similar origin...?

P.S. I'm betting that they do nothing but a blanch or a boil to the tender part of the shoot.?

3. pollyg

pollyg

I think you're right about the blanching. Recipes that I've read seem to say similar things... I'll tell you how they turn out.
    keep well, polly.

4. riverrun

riverrun

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In my experience with bamboo shoots they do blanch them first, but then they treat them like a raw product. U can pretty much do anything u want with them. I've had them stuffed and deepfried, steamed, and stirfried. They even make deserts with them.

5. riverrun

riverrun

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Whatever u do with the bamboo shoot be sure to make it thin as possible unless u are focusing totally on it for it will effect the cooking time.

6. pollyg

pollyg

THANK YOU