Has Anyone Cooked Fresh Bamboo Shoots?

Joined Mar 12, 2001
I was just cutting some annoying bamboo out of my garden and I came across quite a few fat shoots. I did a little research and found out that you have to blanch them first to get rid of the hydrocyanic acid, but I thought someone here might have some first hand experience with their preperation from the raw state.
Any asian food experts out there? :lips:

Joined Mar 6, 2001
I don't know if this will be of any help....but, I recall a recent segment on Alton Brown s' (on foodtv) show where he was explaining how they process hearts of palm. I didn't see the whole show but perhaps he expanded his discusion to include other products of similar origin...?

P.S. I'm betting that they do nothing but a blanch or a boil to the tender part of the shoot.?

Joined Mar 12, 2001
I think you're right about the blanching. Recipes that I've read seem to say similar things... I'll tell you how they turn out.
keep well, polly.

Joined Nov 14, 2001
In my experience with bamboo shoots they do blanch them first, but then they treat them like a raw product. U can pretty much do anything u want with them. I've had them stuffed and deepfried, steamed, and stirfried. They even make deserts with them.

Joined Nov 14, 2001
Whatever u do with the bamboo shoot be sure to make it thin as possible unless u are focusing totally on it for it will effect the cooking time.

Top Bottom