Harvast in new england

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by cape chef, Sep 14, 2000.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Before you know it it will be fall harvast time. All the wonderful Squash, fall mushrooms, Turkeys looking over there shoulder. It's early I know, but lets start Dreaming up the perfect Thanksgiving meal with wines to match.There starting to pick grapes and crush all over the world, soon we will learn about the first vintage of the 20 first centeray. Kinda cool huh.

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Can we play round robin....I start and you add a course?

Coarse country pate with pickled apple slices, croutons.
    Brut Champagne with a pinch of calvados
    (Kir Royale with calvados)

Pureed Butternut squash soup with sauteed chanterelles (guyere biscuit)
    White Burgundy

Turkey thighs stuffed with a shiitaki bread stuffing and roasted
    cranberry sauce (fresh but still the cranberry simple syrup one)
    Haricot verte or possibly a bitter green sauteed down.

WINE SUGGESTIONS?

Salad with vinegrette adn truffle honey drizzle.
    Medium body red with alot of character ???

Pumpkin Souffle with a ginger anglaise
    cinnamon tuille

Something sweet that can stand up to the spices.
    Any IDEAS???

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited September 13, 2000).]

3. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not bad shroomgirl! And only three out of the five courses have wild mushrooms in them! [​IMG]

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Boy, that sounds like a little more than a course!! But whens dinner? With the turkey thighs I would serve a heady pinot noir with good body and medium acid to work with the earthyness of the shiitake mushrooms and the sweetness of the cranberries, We will need something with pronounced fruit and soft tannins as to not dry out the palate.
    i will serve mini baked pumpkins, the pumpkins are baked with a flan of chestnuts and maitakes inside then ladled with a soup made of turnip and blue hubbard and topped with frizzeled leeks, I recommend a 1990 maximin Grunhaus Bruderberg. The perfect foil for this course

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Be careful with the red wine with the vinaigrette and the honey. May not work. Have you ever had orange juice just after you brushed your teeth. could be the same palate shock. I think(believe it or not) a very dry Champange (not as dry as Brut) will work well with the salad. soft acid,medium body and adaquet fruit to handle the honey and truffles,soft acid will work well with the vinaigrette. The dessert< late harvast johannisberg Reisling, a Barsac and even a sherry. They will all work well [​IMG]

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Individual pie pumpkins(?) with a flan baked in them then topped with a soup of turnips and hubbard (never tried) with leaks....hmmmmm interesting. Maitakes (is there another name for them?

Yep...cooking for a state wide wild mushroom group this weekend....chanterelles, black trumpets, shiitakes, portabellos (bleck), porcini, oysters I think that's it....
    So Thanksgiving was a pretty sparse mushroom meal for me, I don't do mushrooms for dessert though fresh candy caps sure taste like maple syrup.

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    shroomgirl, I meant to congradulate you on your promotion to sous chef!!
    I do not know another name off hand for maittakes, They look like tiny tiny plurotts,big clusters and alittle pale brown/grey. The ones I have used are cultivated. I understand wild ones grow in asia. they have a delicate sweet earthy flavor and stand up to cooking better than plurotts. I can makes some calls and try to give you better info.
    Oh and by the way the soup might sound different, but it is outstanding

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Rough recipe for roasted pumpkin soup, stock, how do you make the custard ?
    etc...PLEASE, this is worth a try.
    thanks