Hard boiled egg yolk replacement

Joined Jul 30, 2015
I'm wanting to try making hard boiled eggs, but I don't want my cholesterol to get too high.  Could someone recommend a good substitute for the yolk in a hard boiled egg?  I've heard guacamole and hummus, but I'm wanting to know if anyone has any other good ideas.

Joined Jul 30, 2015
Well regardless of whether its cholesterol or trans fat that's the problem, I'd still like to know if you guys have some creative things to substitute egg yolks with in hard boiled eggs.

Joined Sep 18, 2010
You can use a mixture of cooked Great Nothern Beans and cooked Garbanzo Beans pureed and mixed with olive oil to look as close as possible to egg yolk, and if you add a  bit of yellow mustard few will miss the yolk.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Why don't you experiment then let us know what you find that works?  

If I was worried about cholesterol from yolks I'd pass on eggs altogether - the whites just aren't that exciting to me.

cerise

Banned
Joined Jul 5, 2013

Well regardless of whether its cholesterol or trans fat that's the problem, I'd still like to know if you guys have some creative things to substitute egg yolks with in hard boiled eggs.
Crab salad, shrimp salad, tuna salad, lobster salad, chopped liver, smoked salmon, salmon mousse, edamole (edamame/avocado guacamole), caviar.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Whatever you use as a replacement is bound to be good eaten alone, without the white, so forgo the hard boiled egg with yolk substitute and just make whatever you like to eat.

Top Bottom