Chef Forum banner

Hanger Steak ...

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Iceman 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm gonna plate up a big bunch of steak sammiches for a party this evening. Toasted Slider rolls, sautéed shallots in butter w/ garlic, steak sauce w/ blue cheese and heavy German mustard. ... Anyway ... I'm gonna show you the "hanger steak" in this thread.

Here it all is:
Food Bottle Ingredient Table Recipe
Food Bottle Ingredient Condiment Drink

As it was ... I didn't use the salt & pepper. I just like including it if I did use it. ... It WILL go on the finished product off the grill.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is one rite out of the package. You want to just use your hands to remove as much of the membrane as you can, using your knife as little as possible.
IMG_0266.JPG

Here are both sides of the steak trimmed out for the first stage:
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG

Next is the knife work trimming. I like using my Santoku mostly because it has a flatter profile than my Chef knife. I use my favorite $2 IKEA petty knife a lot too. Again I'm showing both sides.

IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG

#3 · (Edited)
For the home-stretch we need to remove the steel-belt that connects the two(2) halves. Think about filleting a fish. It's pretty much the same process. I give it a long shallow cut along the belt-line then just shave it down.
IMG_0271.JPG

That big white part is what I'm talking about. When you get to the connection end you can just slice off the clean piece of meat. Do the same with the meat still connected starting with the smaller end of tendon (the end you can see). When you're done, you should have a piece like this. Again ... both sides:
fullsizeoutput_2f7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2f8.jpeg

That's one of my better trim pieces. Don't worry if yours is in multiple chunks or if there is much more meat left on it. My first half'a dozen steaks ended up being ground up for burgers.
Here are the finished trimmed-out pieces:
Ingredient Food Sleeve Dress Cuisine

Reactions: phatch
#5 ·
All the meat goes in a bowl ... splashed with evoo and woosty sauce. I roll everything all around before seasoning:
IMG_0278.JPG

Then last I dump on the seasonings; for this much meat +/- half'a capful of each, then I roll them around again:
IMG_0279.JPG

Now it's just gonna sit until grilling time.

Reactions: french fries
#11 ·
OK ... I apologize for not taking any of the grilling pics. This is the second of the two after resting a little longer than I like ... I thought it was a good hack for giving the people a little more medium without having to overcook the meat.
IMG_0280.JPG

Last pic.

#14 ·
OK ... I apologize for not taking any of the grilling pics. This is the second of the two after resting a little longer than I like ... I thought it was a good hack for giving the people a little more medium without having to overcook the meat.
View attachment 67254

Last pic.
Thanks a lot!! I just drooled all over my keyboard!! 🤣 Hanger steaks are a lot of work, but they are so worth it! This looks amazing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.