handle design decisions

Joined Apr 25, 2014
I got this Delbert Ealy damascus blank for a lot cheaper than they go for completed, along with some figured Koa scales.  It needs a handle, etching, and sharpening.  Side jobs and weddings will keep me busy all summer.  Maybe in a month I'll have time to actually put it together.  This is my first "grown up" paring knife, not a $5 victorinox junker.  It's also my first American maker not including forgecrafts.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do two small pins like these:

OR two small and a big one in the middle:

I don't particularly want anything distracting from the koa wood or the damascus but without any pins, you'd really notice they are missing.

This is one of my last western handle projects.  I just want to keep it true to the style of the maker so it feels like a Del knife.  Otherwise I'd grind the tang down and do a hidden tang handle.

So how many pins to use?  Maybe just one big one in the middle..

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
Love it! 

I'm tending to orient away from large rivets (including mosaics) and preferring 2 or 3 very small pins... and it wouldn't take too much to talk me into no pins at all.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Weekend update

XDHxdhEh.jpg

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Love this thing. Nice and thin but not flimsy and cheap like victorinox. Sharpens like a boss. Time to flute some mushrooms!

Top Bottom