Hand cut fries

Joined Jan 21, 2021
Hey all, first time posting on a forum in my life!

I am opening a ghost kitchen and I really want to serve hand cut fries, made in the kitchen. I have 2 main questions;

1- are these a problem when delivering to customers (getting soggy) as opposed to frozen fries and if there is a way around it

2- what is the best way to prepare hand cooked fries?

many thanks

Joined Feb 8, 2009
1- are these a problem when delivering to customers (getting soggy) as opposed to frozen fries and if there is a way around it
Hand cut fries are cut, washed, soaked over night in cold water. Then fried at 300 degrees until about 85 to 90% done. You can then fry as needed at 350-375 to finish and crisp.
The faster you get these to the customers the better the product......The biggest problem with hand-cut fries is making sure you soak and change the water when or if necessary to get the starch from the potato. A hand-cut fry will give you a truer potato taste compared to a frozen fry. When they are done correctly they are great. In many cases I have seen them come out soggy. When a Chef spends as much time making sure the sides have as much attention to quality as the Main, good results will happen........Good Luck........ChefBillyB

Joined Jan 29, 2021
this is my first time here. The way I did chips: use maris piper potatoes. cut them all to size, fry them in a low heat, clean oil, and bring the heat to high. Bring them out when soft and cool them. Put them back for a second fry at hot heat. They should then come out lovely and crispy. In forty years of cooking I have never used frozen chips.

Joined Jan 21, 2021
this is my first time here. The way I did chips: use maris piper potatoes. cut them all to size, fry them in a low heat, clean oil, and bring the heat to high. Bring them out when soft and cool them. Put them back for a second fry at hot heat. They should then come out lovely and crispy. In forty years of cooking I have never used frozen chips.
Thanks a lot, quick question, is there a specific reason why the need to cool down after the first fry, I’ve read it a lot but don’t seem to understand why. Thanks

Joined Dec 18, 2020
Hey, I would like to add one point. Use little semolina to coat them before frying. It will become more crispy and frying cover put fries on tissue paper so that Oil will be soaked up by paper.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom