hand blender

lgc

Joined Nov 16, 2008
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had hand blender recommendations, or things to look out for? I'm based in the UK, and would like it to include a beaker and whisk and food processor attachments if possible (so I can retire the dedicated, and cheap, ones I currently have). I'm probably looking to spend up to ~50 pounds? I don't have a well defined budget to be honest, more a case of getting something good enough (and good value).

I also have a couple of related questions. In my head a hand blender with various attachments is the ideal setup - I don't have it now because my girlfriend already had a food processor/smoothie machine and a whisk (both pretty cheap I think): It's easier to store, and you are only paying for a motor once, and so presumably it will be better than investing the same money on three different items with their own motors. I also find an immersion blender more versatile for most things anyway, as you can blend directly in the pot when required, and it's easier to hunt down pesky solid bits. I see looking at past threads that most people disagree, and see value in a separate processor (and even smoothie blender, which really baffles me - I hate jug blenders! So, what are the benefits of having a separate food processor?

I've also noticed in restaurant supply stores (which I often use for cookware) they often sell 'commercial' hand blenders which are a relatively low wattage (175-200W) but quite pricey compared to 700-800W ones you can get on Amazon. E.g. http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Dynamic-Dynamix-Stick-Blender-MX050/CF001/ProductDetail.raction. I assumed the wattage was important for reliability (i.e. trying to blend stuff the motor couldn't cope with being a reason blenders often die), but I'm guessing I'm wrong, so what makes these worth their price?

Thanks!

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The whisk is nice. The food processor attachment is weak. There isn't enough motor in a hand held for that task.

Braun lasted the longest, but I don't see them on the market any more. Kitchenaid and cuisinart are both decent for home use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom