Hammering the spine of the knife.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by vigilant, Oct 15, 2014.

1. vigilant

vigilant

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Gday,

Just curious as to whats the best part of your hand to strike the spine of the knife to get it through say bones and such, without killing the meaty part of where the thumb meets the hand where i currently strike it, or is this simply something your hand gets used to over time like burns?

I recently started at a modern Asian restaurant and found that i had to strike the back of the knife a lot more commonly than where i did with more western cooking as im dealing with a lot more poultry and such. Maybe im just using the wrong part of my hand... any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance, Vigilant.

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    You may be using the wrong knife. A cleaver is generally used for hacking through bones. You should not need to continually whack the back of the knife with your hand. 

3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hacking is worse for the edge than placing it next to the bone and then pushing.  I use my palm.

4. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Fold a towel over the spine.

dcarch

5. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In China, both ways are used. Check here begining at 3:29:

That's a slicer cleaver. I have 3 Chinese slicer cleavers and they can chop chicken bones without blinking. 

This guy, instead, uses a chopper, heavy cleaver:

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    And what about chopping a crackling pig, at 3:17:

7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    One more, with a beast, beautiful kurouchi cleaver:

8. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Two more, sorry, i'm in the mood. Here's a street guy deboning a duck in minutes with a peculiar technique. He' may not be Pepin but...

And here's how they serve duck at Eleven Madison Park. Your choice.

9. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I have limited experience in this, but sometimes I find easier ways to do things quicker than most.

Angle of approach seemed to work for me. For example, if I'm sectioning wings; I'll lift it up into a vertical  V before cutting. -That goes for just about any joint I come across. The knife slid through joints much easier that way. Now for going through the backbone for spatchcocking; I bought poultry sheers for that. I understand in a professional kitchen where many need to be processed; you would want to use a knife or cleaver.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015