Hammer Stahl / Made In / Demeyere / Mauviel Others?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by EJR, Nov 10, 2018.

1. EJR

EJR

Exp:
    Hammer Stahl
    Hi:

This is my first post. I am looking for a higher end stainless cookware that will be used on an induction cook top for home use. This will be a gift to a very good, but not a professional, cook. I am not a cook, so my knowledge is limited to what I read online. Any feedback is appreciated.

The Hammer Stahl cookware has caught my eye. The product is made in the USA, uses 7 ply construction, with a 316Ti titanian stabilized stainless cooking surface, which they claim is significantly less reactive than regular stainless. Is 7 layers necessarily better than fewer? Is the 316Ti surface worthwhile or marketing hype?

Made In sells direct and is significantly less than the other brands. Is this a matter of getting what you pay for with this brand, or do they offer good quality for less?

Demeyere & Mauviel are both well respected brands. I am sure I could not go wrong with either.

I've read mixed things about All Clad. Some say it is over hyped and not very good, others like the product.

The goal is to select a high quality set of cookware that will last a lifetime and that performs great on an induction cook top.

As of now, I am leaning toward Hammer Stahl, but could be persuaded to go in a different direction.

Thanks for the feedback!

2. ChefRossy

ChefRossy

Exp:
    Intermediate
    I have used and sold all clad copper core and although may seem overpriced, my experience is, its built like a tank and the control you would get on induction would be fantastic.

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Oy.

Your comparison here is like green apples vs red apples. Both are expensive and well-made. The biggest difference of any significance might be that all-clad is straight lipped and hammer-stahl is curved.

Flip a coin if you don’t just go with your heart.

ive been using all-clad for 40 years very successfully.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy whichever you buy.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    BTW... Hammer Stahl appears to be on sale. That brings them to a good price for expensive cookware.

Keep Tennessee employed!

5. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Hi and welcome to CT! :)

Cooks tend to be picky about two things: their cutlery and their cookware. Both are very personal choices for a cook. For instance, @brianshaw makes a good point. Some cookware have curved lips while others have straight lips. Some cooks like the straight edges while others prefer the curved edge. Some cooks like all metal lids and others prefer glass lids. Another preference point is the weight of the pan. While its understood by anyone who cooks that a heavy gauge pan is required from time to time, many cooks really don't like to wrestle with heavy pots and pans any other time. My wife, for example, who is an excellent home cook in her own right, does not like to use my copper pans because they are too heavy for her.

Having said that, before you lay out some serious money for any of the cookware that you have selected, you should probably have a talk with your friend and find out what sort of cookware he/she prefers. This may spoil any surprise you may be going for, but, in the end, it will prevent the possibility of you laying out that kind of money for a cookware set your friend may not like or doesn't need. After all, the cookware you are looking at are not off the shelf $150 cookware sets from Walmart. :)

Perhaps an agreeable alternative would be to take your friend on a culinary shopping spree instead for their gift, and let them choose what they want? Just a suggestion. :)

But, either way, the good news is each and every cookware set you have mentioned is top of the line and would serve any cook very well.

Good luck.

6. EJR

EJR

Exp:
    Hammer Stahl

7. EJR

EJR

Exp:
    Hammer Stahl
    Hi All:

Thanks for all the feedback. Appreciate all the advice.

In the end, I narrowed my list to Fissler, Demeyere Atlantis, Industry 5 and Zwilling Aurora. The Fissler was tempting because they use a very thick aluminum disk that goes all the way to the edge of the bottom surface of the pot/pan. But in the end, I decided on a more conventional clad design.

I purchased a cook set of Zwilling Aurora. From what I understand, these are identical in construction to Demeyere Industry 5, but a little less expensive. The Aurora/Industry 5 are slightly thicker (3mm) than the others on the list except the Demeyere Atlantis, which in my mind, makes them a little more robust and provides a more even cooking surface. The Atlantis would have been the choice if cost was not an issue.

These are gift for my wife. They can be returned/exchange if need be. But I think she will like the choice, at least I hope so.

Thanks again.