Halloween Candy Death Match III: Butterfinger vs. Clark Bar

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by m brown, Oct 16, 2001.

1. butterfinger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. clark bar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    :chef:

Sorry to musle in on your territory chilli, but I have to know, who do you love??

My pick is the Clark Bar, next to Pez, the perfict food.

2. cj

cj

Butterfinger/Clarkbar - there's a difference??? :lol:

So does that make a Pez + Clarkbar casserole the perfect meal?

3. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    rotflmao:lol:

the subtle differences between the clark and butterfinger, the clark bar is one long candy bar with greater ........... I can't write this w/o making it sound lude.
    Suffice to say the clark bar is bigger, and in candy bar land size does matter.
    :eek:
    And I feel it has a better tasting chocolaty coating.

4. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I've never had a Clark bar. So for now, I'll have to go with Butterfiner.

5. bevreview steve

bevreview steve

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    No worries... the more, the merrier. :) Butterfinger all the way... Clark Bar just doesn't have any character. Though nothing beats a good ole Tootsie Roll.

6. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    ooohhhhh tootsie roll..............

right now nothing beats a frozen reeses cup..........

Since the events of last month and the insanity of life in and around NYC I find myself craving all kinds of junk food..............and mashed potatoes............................hummmmmm.
    Candy Keeps me relativly sane!:bounce:

7. kimmie

kimmie

[​IMG] a very cold Dark Zero -- Dark Chocolate Mini-Bars with Cool Melting Cocoa Filling, 40% Cocoa. Made by Meurisse, an affiliate of Côte d'Or. Similar to photo, has a gold wrapper.

That one gets me :bounce:

:D

8. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    This is no contest. As the noted nutritionist Bart Simpson says:

"Au contraire, mon fraire. The Butterfinger group has the
    chocolatey, crispity, peanut-buttery taste essential for survival."

BTW, Can you Name That Candy Bar?

9. kimmie

kimmie

Got KitKat, CoffeCrisp, Aero and O'Henry! ;)

10. cj

cj

...Almond Joy, Mounds, One of the ones we're talking about, Cadbury Caramel,...Rollo...Snickers, Milky Way. Anybody know the green one on the second page? Looks minty - I want it!:lips:

Kimmie- what's CoffeCrisp?

11. nancya

nancya

I can name almost all of them...I'm not sure that is something I should be proud of.

Butterfinger=Clark Bar, but I would probably buy a Butterfinger before I would a Clark Bar. Name recognition, you know?

By the way, one I rarely run into but love are Toffee-fays [not sure that is how it is spelled]. Remember the song:

Toffee-fay is too good for kids, Toffee-fay is made for grown-ups!!!

12. isa

isa

Whippets any day.!
    For those of you unfortunate enough to have to live without this fabulous cookie, make a batch and you'll understand how addictive they are.

Whippets
    24 Cookies

3 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    3/8 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    12 tablespoons butter
    3 eggs, whisked together
    Homemade marshmallows, recipe follows
    Chocolate glaze, recipe follows

Blend the dry ingredients in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until sandy. Add the eggs and mix to combine. Form the dough into a disk, wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 days. When ready to bake, grease a cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out small rounds of dough, 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Transfer to the prepared pan and bake until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.

Pipe a «kiss» of marshmallow onto each cookie. Let set at room temperature for 2 hours.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a nonstick baking mat. One at a time, gently drop the marshmallow-topped cookies into the hot chocolate. Lift out with a fork and let excess chocolate drip back into the bowl. Place on the prepared pan and let set at room temperature until the coating is firm, about 1 to 2 hours.

Note: if you don’t want to make your own marshmallows, you can cut a large marshmallow in half and place on the cookie base. Heat in a preheated 350-degree oven to slump the marshmallow slightly, it will expand and brown a little. Let cool, then proceed with the chocolate dipping.

Homemade marshmallows

1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup light corn syrup
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
    2 tablespoons cold water
    2 egg whites
    1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Combine the water, corn syrup, and sugar in a saucepan, bring to a boil until «soft-ball» stage, or 235 degrees on a candy thermometer. Meanwhile, sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let dissolve. Remove the syrup from the heat, add the gelatin, and mix. Whip the whites until soft peaks form and pour the syrup into the whites. Add the vanilla and continue whipping until stiff. Transfer to a pastry bag.

Chocolate Glaze

12 ounces semisweet chocolate
    2 ounces cocoa butter or vegetable oil

Melt the 2 ingredients together in the top of a double boiler or a bowl set over barely simmering water.

13. pastachef

pastachef

:lips: Clark bar! OMG, I haven't had one of those in about twenty years. Why? Darned if I know, but I'm sure going to go out and get one. LOL After that, it would be Sky Bar.

14. isa

isa

A picture is worth a thousand words.... Here it is the Whippet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. pastachef

pastachef

Oooo Isa, I remember them now. I grew up on them. Now I'll have to find them too. How could I ever forget them when my grandmother kept them in the house for me?:)

16. kimmie

kimmie

That's the Aero (mint flavour). The regular one is better, unless you love mint with chocolate, which I don't.

A Coffee Crisp is similar to KitKat but thicker:

[​IMG] here's the Coffee Crisp

and here's the KitKat [​IMG]

17. bevreview steve

bevreview steve

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    I hope not combined with the candy bars! :)

18. isa

isa

Pasta, on occasion when I buy a box, I keep it in the freezer. It is then easier to eat all the chocolate, and keep the marshmallow for the end. :lips:

19. pastachef

pastachef

:bounce:
    I never thought about that one, Isa. What a great idea!

20. pastachef

pastachef

TRICK OR TREAT! :D um...er...I guess the devil made me do it...or maybe a second childhood? All this candy talk is driving me crazy! droooool