Halibut ideas

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Jul 20, 2013.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I got a nice piece if halibut. Usually i pan sear it simply seasoned in butter and olive oil.I want to do something special or different. Can I grill it! Roast it? Any ideas welcome.

2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I got some local halibut last week that was 12 hrs out of the water, very good stuff. Here's what I do with it.

Olive oil, garlic, whole grain mustard, fresh basil, kosher salt, fresh black pepper.

Very hot, very clean grill. Halibut can be difficult to grill, but with some skill and a bit of luck you can do it with out it falling apart.

3. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    KK,
    One of my favorite ways is to grill fresh halibut brushing with a mango-ginger habanero glaze and topping it with a fresh peach blueberry relish. Both blueberries and peaches are in season now and are good.....caveat....try not to use cling peaches as they are a major pita to de pit. I think there is still a pix of the dish in my default album.....i am not the best of photographer's for sure, but hope this helps anyway.

joey
    be sure to lightly oil the halibut before putting it on the grill...

4. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Why not cook it "en papillotte" aka wrapped in alu foil. Grease a large sheet of alu foil, put the fish in, add whatever veggies that you like; a few thin slices of carrot, onion, garlic, certainly some spring onions, a few bits of tomato concassée, fennel shavings(!)...  plenty s&p, very small dash of ouzo (1/2 tsp) or more simply: a good tbsp of white wine or Nouilly Prat. Close alu, cook in the oven at 180°C/350°F.

To make it more luxury, you could add some mussels too!!

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    olive oil poached

6. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've been craving a tenderly poached halibut in a mild yet flavorful broth.

7. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah, PP like a saffron broth.....man I love that stuff...or pho broth
    a few others that pop in my head are a light brothy yellow curry or fresh green curry sauce...nothing to overwhelm the halibut though...I just really love those flavors with fresh fish.....big fresh blueberries with fresh fish is phenomenal...truly...I wouldn't lie!

joey

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  8. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I like to poach my halibut in clam juice with a little bit of garlic added( A very little bit ! )

9. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh yes. Now I'm really craving...

10. praties

praties

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I do something similar to this, only I put some fresh lemon juice on the foil, lay down a nice big sprig of fresh dill, lay the halibut on that, top it with more lemon juice, s&p, a biggish pat of butter and another sprig of dill.  Seal it up and bake it.  Buttery, lemony, dilly goodness. :)

11. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Praties, you just reminded me I forgot to mention to add some thin lemon slices on top of the fish in the papillottes. Thanks. Your dill combo sounds great!

12. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cheflayne,
    Can you expound on that method please? What type of olive oil? Do you infuse the oil? Can you? I imagine the possibilities are limitless then.....I have a picture in my mind's eye that needs some direction......thanks
    joey

13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I generally use extra virgin olive oil and yeah infused is great too, for example a lemon arugula infused and serve with heirloom tomatoes sprinkled with sumac. Gotta love summer. I basically do it like a confit, in the oven at 250 for an hour or so depending on size.

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ok so we grilled it. Hubby is always looking for any excuse to grill. I marinaded it in olive oil, garlic, oregano and a touch if Dijon. Then we grilled it. It was slightly overlooked but delicious. I served it with lemon, steamed veggie rice and a purslane salad.

15. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This may be way OT, but trying to get the proper idea of which are Halibut species all over the world, i found this web site:

FISHBASE

Pretty awesome.

16. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cool website ordo, thanks.

Layne

17. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other