Half a century ago

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by teamfat, Jan 25, 2014.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For those of you who may be no longer considered spring chickens, what are some dishes you remember from 1960 or so?

mjb.

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I could have been a bit more specific.  Saturday night we are attending a friend's 50th birthday celebration, a pot luck, and I'm trying to think back to what I had as a kid back then, or what was trendy.  Chile mac?  Fondue?  Tuna casserole?

mjb.

3. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Pigs in a blanket

Baked alaska

Ambrosia salad

Chicken liver pate

Grasshopper Pie?

Beef stroganoff

cocktail meatballs?  (w/ grape jelly?)

Swedish meatballs

Beef welliington

Chicken a la king

Chicken kiev

Steak Diane

Shrimp cocktail

deviled eggs

stuffed mushrooms

Onion Dip

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    mikeswoods likes this.
  4. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    You had baked Alaska and steak diane back in the 60s, really??

MJB you talkin about dinner at home in the 60s or dinner out?

Cuz at home the popular things were things like meatloaf, pork chops, lots of casseroles, pot roast,

fish sticks , hamburger helper (late 60s lol) beef stroganoff, Spanish rice, chicken enchiladas,

Rice-a-Roni *ding-ding* and just a lot of other stuff still popular today.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    TV DINNERS   <8^P  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peanut butter cut with corn syrup

Sugar laden cereal

6. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ox tongue in Madeira sauce. Bouillie with boiled potatoes, carrots and mustard. Coquille St.-Jacques. Prawn cocktail served in a tall glass. Vol au vent. Rabbit with prunes (still love that!). Orloff with veal and god forbid, with pork.

And a gazillion other things... 

Most hated; fondue Bourguignonne, something for lazy hosts.

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Shrimp and/or Crab Louie!

8. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Spam, Wednesday night Prince spaghetti, mashed potato with ever meal (except spaghetti)

But as a suggestion for what to bring to the birthday pot luck:  Tuna casserole would be great, as wood a nice big chef salad.

9. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    How about the 50s

Filet of sole bonne femme, lobster newburg, crabmeat au gratin, beef wellington, crabmeat dewey, coquille st. jaques, oysters rockafeller, sauerbratin, chicken livers chasseur, chicken tettrazinni, omelette norvegienne  and on and on

10. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Meals I remember from the 60s are: oven fried chicken, shrimp cocktail, macaroni and cheese with a cornflake crumb topping, tuna noodle casserole, glazed ham, creamed spinach. I was pretty young (single digits) though and not so food oriented in those days. 

11. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Oh, no! Oh, yes.... I put my first meal on the table 50 years ago, at age 10 or so. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif  We didn't eat much processed food in our house. My mom didn't cook with Velveeta, cream of fill-in-the-blank soup, prepare casseroles with crushed potato chips on top or deep fry anything- as much as I wished she had! We ate oddly, eclectically for the time. But here are some suggestions, if it's an informal gathering, based on your location (Salt Lake City, Utah USA):

Velveeta processed cheese: Peas and cheese salad, maybe with macaroni....

Three bean salad

Jello molds, sweet and savory- use decorative molds if you can find any! Make the sweet ones creamy so you can see the details of the mold.

Cream pies

Chicken a la King

Cheese balls rolled in nuts

Celery stuffed with cream cheese (or dates stuffed with cream cheese- anything stuffed with cream cheese!)

Swiss steak

Creamed spinach (or any vegetable: onions, peas, turnips....)

Pineapple upside down cake

Deviled eggs

I have a General Foods Kitchens Cookbook from 1959. It's chock-full of things that were on my friends' dining tables at that time. In fact, I have a number of vintage cookbooks from the 50s and some from the 60s. Let me know if there's a recipe you're looking for; I may be able to dig it up. 

These are the kinds of dishes I remember from my early years.

12. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    The Food Timeline may help in what was popular/trendy at the time - for party food ideas.  (That's what I was going for, rather than what I ate.)

http://www.foodtimeline.org/fooddecades.html#1960s

I recall rumaki, and pupu platters at Polynesian restaurants, but not sure which era they were from.  I have an oldie recipe for egg foo yung made with rice-a-roni, but don't think it was considered a popular dish of that time.

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I had it narrowed down to tuna casserole, fish sticks or chile mac.  Went with the chile mac, though back in the day my mom called it goulash.  To me now, goulash is a very different thing altogether.  As I was browning the ground beef with the onions and seasonings the aroma reminded me of walking into the kitchen as a hungry little kid, thinking that the meat looked done, why couldn't we just eat it now?  But no, had to wait for the macaroni to cook, add it to the beef with some sauce and let it simmer a bit.

Hope folks like it.

mjb.

14. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I'm sure they will.  I tried to throw in some dishes that Betty Draper would approve of too. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Fried bologna sandwich!

16. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Turned out well.  Everybody who tried it liked it.  It was the only hot dish there, which surprised me for a chilly evening.  Glad I didn't take pasta salad.  Had a few folks come up and tell me that they remember eating something like it when they were kids at home.  I'll claim success!

mjb.

17. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Sounds like you hit the spot, Teamfat!  

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  18. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have the General Foods Kitchens Cookbook Mezzaluna mentions earlier in this thread and, believe me, you don't want to eat most of that food, even for the sake of nostalgia.

Here are some highlights:

Vichyssoise

Lobster casserole supreme (canned lobster, canned olives, canned mushrooms, prepared biscuit mix)

Chicken a la King

Jellied Chicken Salad Surprise 

Lots of jellied salads, including one just called parsley jelly

Beef Stroganoff

Frankfurter Roll ups (pigs in a blanket)

Franks and beans

Beef Bourguinonne (begins with 1 teaspoon MSG and bouillon)

Cream of pea soup (canned peas and their liquid, tapioca and bouillon cubes)

Crab Louis

Creole Chicken and Rice

Shrimp Cocktail 

Glazed caviar and cream cheese canapes (includes a whopping 1/8 teaspoon of basil for 24 canapes)

Lobster salad in "little puffs"--actually, profiteroles. Made with canned lobster.

Meat loaf with tomato sauce--made with 3 envelopes of French salad dressing mix

Swiss Steak

Swedish meatballs

The recipe for "glazed chicken pies" actually calls for "8 quick frozen chicken pies" which you then brush with milk and egg yolk before baking.

All of the rice recipes seem to call for packaged, precooked rice.

Lots and lots of desserts-they seem to be the main thrust of the book. Of course, it includes Baked Alaska.

19. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Quite a few of those things on your list are quite tasty - done right.  But Jellied Chicken Salad Surprise - Uh, I think I'll pass.  I'll go back to the gelatin challenge for that sort of stuff.

Others have mentioned a few things I've made long ago and might be worth revisiting, like coquilles St. Jacques.  And a fried bologna sandwich - I LOVED those!

mjb.

20. jonpaul

jonpaul

Exp:
    Home Cook
    knickerbocker glory,avocado pear with marie rose prawns,egg mayonnaise,chicken n' chips(fries) in a basket,melon & parma ham,scampi & chips,chicken chowmein,arctic roll,coronation chicken(your majesty!),coq au vin,boeuf bourguignon,gammon & pineapple,chicken vindaloo,chopped liver on matzo's,beef wellington,chicken a la king,hot ox tongue,paprika chicken,liver & bacon,hot boiled crab in newspaper on the harbour wall in cornwall,pickled eggs,cockles & mussels in vinegar down the pub,duck a l'orange.....happy days!