Chef Forum banner

Hake

955 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  margcata 
#1 ·
Hi,

After extensive searching, I have come to the conclusion that Hake is primarily used for fish and chips.

My doctor wants me to stay away from fried foods so, at my new fishmonger, when I saw this magnificent hunk of fish, I asked what it was and was told it was Hake. I impulsively purchased an entire fillet.

Now what do I do with it?

Red.

#2 ·
Your HAKE will taste best batter fried, but since you should avoid fried foods it will also be great sauteed or made into fish cakes.

#3 ·
Like the firm, white, fish and chips species, cod, halibut, and haddock, e.g., hake can be baked or roasted, covered or uncovered, wrapped or unwrapped, with just about any seasoning or garnish which tickles your fancy.  

The two most common sins with fish are under-salting and overcooking.  Don't overcook.  Hake should be cooked to around medium/medium-well, "just barely flaky" is about right.

And just like all those other fish, hake can be profitably grilled over coals or under the broiler.  It's best done by brining first, than cooking over a hot fire or under a hot broiler.  It can get a little fragile as it cooks, so -- if you're cooking over coals -- make sure it's cooked to the "release point" before turning, and be very careful otherwise as well.  Use a fish spatula and a light touch.

Hope this helps,

BDL

#6 ·
Good Morning Redvan,

Merluccius Merluccius, Merluza called Hake in English, is the Spanish and Basque enthusiasm and they excel in its preparation. The Hake is a Northern European Atlantic and Mediterranean fish variety, very rare in USA waters; with numerous Basque recipes for example:

Salsa Verde:  Extra virgin olive oil, asparagus, parsely, salt, garlic, flour and fresh clams.

La Gallega:  Garlic, Evoo, Pimentón La Vera Smoked Cayenne Paprika, Potatoes and Fish stock.

La Sidra:  Asturian Cider and fresh herbs baked in oven.

Con Vino Blanco:  with white wine and herbs baked in oven.

Rellena: stuffed with crabmeat and / or shrimp.

Vizcaya: Tomato, saffron, garlic and white wine. 

Pil Pil:  Evoo, 1 chili pepper dried and sprinkled and garlic.

Ajoarriero:  Onion, green pepper, garlic, tomato sauce, Evoo and Cayenne.  

Kokotxas: this is the neck gulls of the Hake and / or the Cod fish, a delicacy on The Iberian Peninsula, and is made with white wine, garlic, cayenne, parsley and Evoo, sautéed.

Hope that this has been helpful.

Happy Father´s Day,

Ciao, Margaux Cintrano.

#8 ·
Redvan,

You are welcome. If you would like a good book on Spanish cuisine in English ( www.amazon.com ) there is a wonderful coffee table book called The Legacy of Spanish Cuisine, and these recipes are in the sections via Province.

Enjoy ...

Margaux.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.